Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization debugging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i have been through Auth. debugging in

but i could not see what purpose it serves. I can search AUTHORITY-CHECK statements through CTRL+ F/Find button . So, could you suggest, what benefit does debugging give

Regards

Plaban

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CTRL-F only works for the set of code you are in at the time.  Debugger lets you identify all (well most of) the checks that are performed for an actual execution, regardless of the programs, FM's etc that are executed on the way to a specific outcome.  It is also a much quicker way of identifying the relevant auth checks than manually reviewing code.

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

ok, but my doubt is , will Debugging for Breakpoint statement eg. Breakpoint at statement AUTHORITY-CHECK, show/does anything else except finding out the AUTHORITY-CHECK statements, in the program of the t-code

Regards

Plaban

0 Kudos

Hi, one big benefit is that the debugger will show you what values are being passed into the check (so it will show object + activity/plant etc).

Using the debugger certainly isn't a replacement for code review but should be seen as an additional tool with some of the benefits already mentioned.  In the same way that SU53 has it's place 'vs' the better info in ST01, debugging can give benefits over code review.  There is a time & place for all of the tools.

Cheers

0 Kudos

hi Alex,

could you suggest, if debugging can be used to see the exact missing auth. object, for a user.

i tried setting break point for statement ' AUTHORITY-CHECK', for a user having insufficient auth., but it still showed in green these statements. i understand that setting up breakpoint statement, will

show all such statements, because that is what i set. But my requirement is to see where the missing auth. check is.

regards

Plaban

0 Kudos

Hi Plaban,

Debugging can help but it will depend on how the check is coded.  It could well be that the check is in a logical database (common in HR) or via a macro which are harder to debug and in this respect debugger is useful as you can track through the code line by line or section by section.