SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Assessments where an exam is not the only task required to complete a module

Former Member
0 Kudos

The successful completion of a module comprises a pass mark on each of X assignments that must be completed for the module as well as a pass mark on the final module exam. The overall module result is a weighted calculation of the above elements. I am handling the grades for these in the module appraisal as follows:

I have already created a CE object called Module EXAM to handle the module final exam. I have created an assessment with scheduling details and resources, and an assessment process which now has students registered onto it. However, the result of this assessment process is not the final module result, it is just the result of the module final exam (the CE object is assigned appraisal type "Final Module Exam Appraisal").

What is the best way to capture the final module result?

I have thought of creating a second CE object called Module Completion. The associated assessment will not have a schedule relating to a concrete event (as there is no exam here) but will have registration and withdrawal dates which will enable the management of registration of students onto the process. The CE object will be assigned appraisal type Final Module Appraisal (where the module final grade is calculated using the results and weights defined above).

Is this the correct approach? Is there anything else I need to bear in mind if I proceed with this?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dirk_pape3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I am not sure, whether I correctly understand your requirement. So let me ask some questions:

• Is it correct that there are 4 grades (one exam, three assignment), which can and shall calculate automatically  to a final module result with the given weights?
  • So why not use an appropriate key figure in the appraisal template for calculation?
  • How will the grades (or pass marks) for the assignments be added?

It is not mandatory to use a CE to have grades or pass marks entered on an appraisal type. You can also do it without a CE. For instance with PIQSMFU or with the grading self service.

So if you do not need to schedule anything there is no need for a CE. You can use it but you do not need to.

I normally do not connect a CE to a top level appraisal type of an appraisal template of  module. I would not feel comfortable with that. But that is maybe only personal preference.

Dirk

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Andreas,

Yes creating a second assessment is a good idea. we have done the same. One for scheduling another for final grading.  Else we can create an top appraisal type with, lets say final result and depending on the calculation method we can calculate the final result for that assessment and then proceed for module completion. Just a guess, hope it helped you.

Regards,

Sandeep

dirk_pape3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I am not sure, whether I correctly understand your requirement. So let me ask some questions:

• Is it correct that there are 4 grades (one exam, three assignment), which can and shall calculate automatically  to a final module result with the given weights?
  • So why not use an appropriate key figure in the appraisal template for calculation?
  • How will the grades (or pass marks) for the assignments be added?

It is not mandatory to use a CE to have grades or pass marks entered on an appraisal type. You can also do it without a CE. For instance with PIQSMFU or with the grading self service.

So if you do not need to schedule anything there is no need for a CE. You can use it but you do not need to.

I normally do not connect a CE to a top level appraisal type of an appraisal template of  module. I would not feel comfortable with that. But that is maybe only personal preference.

Dirk

0 Kudos

Hi Dirk

The business requirement (the university policy) that I am trying to capture here is that once the student completes all three assignments there is a check to establish whether the student can proceed to sit the exam. The calculation is as follows:

So chronologically, a calculation must exist after the completion of the three assignments and before the exam which will enable the university to tell the student whether they can sit the exam.

I am not intending to use an assessment to have grades or pass marks entered on an appraisal type. I will be using the transaction PIQSMFU - Module Appraisal as you mentioned.

My intention was to follow standard and use an assessment for module completion. Given the business requirement relating to the right to sit the exam, I was driven to consider using two assessments (hence my original question)

However, subsequent to my submitting the question, I read up on it a little more and thought of possibly using just one Assessment (Module Completion) and the associated process could use an audit (process part - admission to process) to check whether the student meets the criteria for proceeding to sit an exam (i.e. assignment marks as per the requirements). If yes, the process is opened and we wait for the exam to take place and the marks to be awarded. Once that is done, the assessment process can be completed successfully or unsuccessfully depending on the overall weighted result (which automatically comes into the assessment process from the module appraisal). If no, then the student cannot proceed to the exam and the process is completed unsuccessfully.

Your comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for your time

Andreas

0 Kudos

Andreas,

I will not open final exam assessment who failed in the assignments.  I think you can use the Badi "HRPIQ00EVOB_REGCHECK" to exclude those students. I think that's what you want if they failed in assignments then can't sit in final exam.

Thanks,

Prabhat Singh

0 Kudos

Hi,

as Prabhat writes, you can use the BAdI implementation to prohibit opening an assessment process.

You could even use a BAdI implementation for HRPIQ00EVOBJ_FILLEXP to filter expected processes for the final exam only to those students which have passed the assignments.

Coming to your 1st question: I would not connect a CE to the top level appraisal type but use an appraisal template like

• final module
    • final exam ---> CE
    • preconditional assignments  (this hierarchy level only for convenience to easier compute pass on all assignments)
      • assignment 1
      • assignment 2

together with Prabhats solution and/or the expected processes BAdI (s. a.).

The latter is IMO more convenient but also more difficult to implement.

Regards,

Dirk