cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum hardware for ADS configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are looking to move our server and application to VMware.  What is the maximum amount of memory that the ADS server can take advantage of?  What about multiple processors?  Will we see a speed improvement if we have SSD drives in our SAN?  Can we install the 64 bit server and gain anything?  Will our current applications run on the 64 bit server?  Basically we want to run the server and thus our application on the fastest platform we can under a VM without over doing it.   Does anyone know what that would be?  Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also interested in answers to the questions above:

- maximum amount of memory the ADS server can maximize

- multiple processors

- SSD drives in a SAN

- 64 bit server better than 32

It has been over two weeks and no reply.  I would think increasing performance in the database server would be a SAP priority and answers to the questions above would be well known by the developers of ADS.

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I try to find out some information, which I hope it could be helpful in your case:

All versions of the Advantage Database Server are multi-threaded and will perform each user-requested database operations concurrently or in parallel if multiple processors are present.

SSD should improve in general the performance, but 32 bit Windows and 32 bit Advantage are limited to 2 GB of address space, because of the address space limitations by default a 32 bit version of Advantage only uses 256 MB of RAM for caching data. If you call sp_mgGetConfigMemory90, you can see how much RAM are using to cache data. If they are constantly at 256 MB of cached data then going to a 64 bit should improve performance.

Answers (0)