cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a prompt that is dependent on the answer from another prompt?

Former Member

The example given is select from a list of countries, and based on the selection present only the list of cities within that country.  The universe I am working in does not have hierarchical objects.

former_member587467
Participant
0 Kudos

Cascading prompts were created in Universe designer as part of one business requirement by defining the prompts in the Schedule,Concept Name, and Workbookid as shown below.

Enter Schedule

Enter Concept Name

Enter Workbook id

The issue is that 'Schedule' and 'Concept Name' are displaying appropriate values, but the workbook id prompt is fetching additional values regardless of the Schedule value selected.

For example, the the Schedule value 'RCA' was chosen from the LOVs as it is the first level in the prompt order followed by 'Concept Name' value 'RCFD0010'. Instead of displaying 1154, 1091, and 1092, the 'workbookid' prompt fetches additional values '1102' and '1103' along with the aforementioned workbook ids.

Regards

Siva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think There is an efficient way to do that in the front end, you should team up with a backend colleague and create a hierarchy in the BW backend.

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos

Method 1, two queries  Prompt text  is  the same name

Method  2,Use Result from another query (Any)\Result from another query (All)

The following chart:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.... that does work for Oracle based databases though I sometimes run into "query has too many objects" I am told the limit is 1000, or at least that is how ours is set, however for the Bex based universes the Result from another query is greyed out.  I am told that is a limitation of the Bex model, if true an unfortunate limitation.  But my reality right now.  Does anyone know if the limitation of using "result from another query" is really not available for universes built on Bex queries, or is it a configuration issue with our setup?

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

With BEx universe "result from another query" is disabled.It's a limitation.

Amit

0 Kudos

HI,

SORRY.

I donot known "With BEx universe "result from another query" is disabled"

Two queries  Prompt text  is  the same name is ok?

wang

kohesco
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

It is a limitation of the product, but like Victor stated.  You can use a Customer Exit variable to retrieve a list of cities.

Grtz

Koen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

We dont have option of creating Cascading prompt in WebI!!.. Cascading prompt can be created only in UDT or IDT. ...But if you want that prompt to be accoured all the time. Kindly dicuss with the Universe Designer.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned I am a und-user so I don't have access to the back-end I only can work within building the queries either within the rich client or the WEBui.

Does this mean first our universe designers have to build up the hierarchy in the universe in order for me to take advantage of the "sub-prompts" with the query?

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can not implement from Webi query.You need to setup the prompt hierarchy in the universe.

Amit