cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Login prompt for Crystal Reports (the report you requested requires further information)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

As my first official post on here, I was wondering if someone could help me understand the below error, and how to correct it.

I recently discovered the world of Crystal Reports, and when experimenting around at home, have come across the following issue on my dev test machine: This error doesn't happen on any of the other servers, using the same standard report.

I have already verified that my database is able to be connected to (how my web-app works is that I login to the webapp, and the code loops through the sub reports and overrides the connection string with the username, password, server and database that I am currently using).

Here's the machine stats, if this helps:

1. Crystal Reports Runtime 2008 SP2

2. MS SQL Server 2012 (Standard)

3. Windows Server 2008

4. IIS AppPool settings:

NET version = 4

Managed Pipeline Mode = Classic

Allow 32-bit applications = True

Now, I have already tried to fill in the fields that the Runtime control is displaying, but when I go to hit "Log on", the report still fails to load. Again, if I copy this same report to another machine with the same information as above, then it works. I tried to find the problem myself, but I am not a server-guy; thought just running the runtime installer would be enough to display the reports.

Checking with Process Monitor (Procmon) and Fiddler did not reveal anything unusual to my eyes (I'm used to using both tools to find errors).

My questions would be:

1. Why does the report prompt me for more information? I have verified that the code I wrote passes the correct server, database, username, and password for the connection string override.

2. Is there any way (from the information I have given) to overcome this error?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi J

Great questions. The most likely issue is the database client. E.g.; report works on one box, not another, we're looking at environment differences. And the client is it in 70% of these cases.

With MS SQL 2012 keep the following in mind:

For OLE and ODBC connections with MS SQL 2012 use SQL Native 11 driver.

The below is just for completeness of data:

For OLE DB use:

MS SQL 2005 - OLE DB Provider

MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10

MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2014 - SQL Native 11

For ODBC use:

MS SQL 2005 - SQL Native

MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10

MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2014 - MSODBCSQL11 [ https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=36434 ]

Now, if you already have the correct driver installed, and you're using ODBC, make sure you  are using the 32 bit ODBC datasource. This is the cause of the issue another 20% of the time. The last 10%... well, that's where we earn out may

Oh. You're using SP 2. I'd recommend updating to SP 7. You can find the SPs here:

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/patch_download/main_public.htm

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ludek,

Thank you very much for your quick response - I appreciate it

It appears that the link to the service packs is unavailable to me (Getting a 403 when I click it).

So for the most part, you're thinking that it's something to do with the SQL Connection Client, correct?

Also, the location that I'm looking for is:

[Control Panel] => [Administrative Tools]  => [Data Sources], correct?

If I am correct, would I need to add a connection data source to any of the tabs (System DSN, File DSN, User DSN, etc)?

I apologize for adding on some additional questions; this is all new for me, so thank you for being patient with me.

-James

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All correct. AS for the downloads portal, please see if yo can get to it via the Overview tab in this forum. On the left hand side there is a link to it - that may work better for us.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

And also, I don't believe SP 2 supported SQL 2008 or above. Updating is required.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again Ludek, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help!

When I took another look at my environment, I found that I didn't have the DSN correctly configured.

What clued me in on this was that when I connected with just the server, the report wouldn't work. But, when I specified the Server + the default instance name (which is what appeared when I used SQL Server), the report worked fine.

In this case, you initial post was the solution!

On the side, I tried to get the service packs via the left-hand, and was not successful (I got a different authentication prompt, which seemed to be looking for a different set of credentials).

In any case, thank's again!!!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perfect. Great to know the solution - many thanks . And I will investigate the downloads portal - something funny going on there...

- Ludek

Answers (0)