Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to OTR long text

patrick_weber4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

does anyone know a good and working alternative to OTR Long texts?

I don't know why SAP developed the behavior of <OTR> tag as it is. The usage of this tag is really a pain and a totally waste of time (my opinion).

I use htmlb:textView to show OTR Long text. Each time I modify the page (not the text), also if I just edit an other Element of the page, the Environment creates a new GUID for Long text. So I get tons of unused Long text references in SOTR_EDIT.

How do you handle Long text in multi-language environments?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Alternate for OTR could be going with Standard Text ( SO10 ) Objects.

I am not sure what exactly your problem is, under the circumstances,please  do change/create OTR Text only when there is change in the text UI that you are using. Each time modifying or creating new OTR is not a best practise.

Check this thread   for OTR vs Standard Text

Hope this would be useful!

Regards,

Meganadhan S

patrick_weber4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Meganadhan,

thanks for your reply. Temporary I solved my problem by using Standard text objects.

When I use OTR long text, the system generates a new GUID for this text, each time I change the page. For example, if I use pretty printer, system generates new IDs for OTR. If I insert a new element on the page (above or after the text), it also generates a new ID.

So I get a new ID nevertheless I didn't change the text itself. This way I loose my translations each time I touch a page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Please close thread if your issue is resolved.

Regards,

Meganadhan S

patrick_weber4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

my issue is not resolved. I just found a silly workaround. Nevertheless, I close this thread. But I'm still interested how your solution looks like, if you need long text elements.

patrick_weber4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've written a small method to read the OTR long text directly from DB. It is not better than using SO10 Standard Text, but it works.

SELECT SINGLE * FROM  sotr_textu                

INTO  g_string_wa                  

WHERE concept   = gs_text-concept             

AND langu     = gs_text-langu                      

AND country   = gs_text-country                

AND extension = gs_text-extension.