Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Remote Windows Printer in SAP

former_member1012268
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello World,

its that time of the project again and I need to ask a (silly) question.

We have a NW7 System, running on a Linux machine which has no local print management installed (on purpose).

Now we need to set up remote printer (located in another building), which is hosted by a Windows *Server* (no SAPwin printer via PC here!).

I keep having problems of how to define this printer in SAP, as I only have the IP# for the printer itself (its hooked up to the server via the network, not via a local port) and for the server itself.

I do not have the printer's "Windows Name", but I can ping both the printer and the server from the Linux host.

Can anyone of you make a suggestion of how to set this baby up in SAP?

I am currently using U Protocol, but keep getting "device not found" errors in SAP after a while (I guees it because me using the IP# instead of the printer's Windows name).

Thx in advance for any help with this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PLEASE do not stick with SAPSPRINT if you have not decided yet what you need.

SAP has several ACCES METHOD which would help to connect to just a IP

Make your mind up what languages you need to be prnted like european (incl. Greek adn Cyrillic) or just englisch or ASIAn language.

Frontend printing with SAPSPRINT should only be used if NO BATCH printing is needed and for you it is a MUST to run all on Windows.

Check with your LINUX team what LP Deamon they have assigned as STANDARD?

Check with your LINUX team if they have an external spooling environment implemented somewhere.

How may different SAP Systems needs to be able to print........

You see a lot of questions.

check also here: SAP Printing Guide (BC-CCM-PRN) - SAP Library

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

once you have set up SAPSprint on that Windows printserver where the printer is attached, you need to define the network printer in Windows PrintManager and give it a name and assign a driver.

In SPAD you define this printer with

device type:  SWINCF

access method: U or S

host printer: <printer name in Windows print manager>

destination host: <network name of the Windows PC where SAPSPrint is running>

Regards,

Alex

former_member1012268
Participant
0 Kudos

Thx Alex for the info, but I know about SAPSprint.

Problem here is that the network department handles those servers, and they don't give a flying f* about any printing needs from SAP.

So it'll take a loooong time to get permission to set up SAPSprint there.

I don't suppose there is a way to do w/o that (on a Windoze Print Host)?

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donaldo,

you can run SAPsprint on any Windows server or PC. All you need to do is configure a Windows print queue on that PC/Server for the network printer in question. 

Ok, you can indeed directly connect to a network printer (provided you have network connectivity from the SAP server to the printer!) via access method U.

In that case, you should not use a SAPWIN/SWIN/SWINCF device type (as the printer will not understand the sapwin data) but use a native PCL5 or PostScript device type (assuming the printer speaks PCL5 or PS), e.g. use HPLJ8000 or POST2 device types.

As <destination host> provide the IP address of the printer in SPAD. For <host printer>, use "LPT1" (any string should do).

Regards,

Alex

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You mentioned that you do not have the printer's "Windows Name",what do you see when you open the "devices and printers" in your windows *Server*.Could you pls attach the screen shot?

Regards

Jie Bai

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the Windows print server you need to install SAPSprint software and leverage method S, for the destination of the host printer it would be \\servername\PrinterShareName and destination host is just the name of the windows server.

Doco for the SAPSprint installation -

former_member1012268
Participant
0 Kudos

Thx for the hint folks, but I already figured out that SAPSprint was missing on that server.

Only problem is, they won't let me install it