cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poorly written posts...is it a choice or lack of skill?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sometimes we see unclear posts, poorly written, without examples, not much detail related to the exact requirement, the business reasons behind these requirements, grammatical mistakes making comprehending difficult. Eventually, even if a well-intended wants to help, he/she cannot.

Do you think members who post these kinds of questions, replies; do the same in their day jobs too?

Could there be two different “levels” one for SCN and another (much thought over and proper effort put) that exhibits clarity for the "real" world?

Thanks!

Typewriter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

TW,

A few factors that I think contribute to poorly written posts:

1. Difficulty with English: This should be easily mitigated with tools like Google Translate assuming the user has a decent written command of a native language.
  2. Hurry as a result of anxiety: Like I pointed out in , users ultimately save time by slowing down, searching first, and writing a good post rather than rushing out a bad one.
  3. The expectation that people will ask follow-up questions as needed: The problem with this, at least for me, is that I'm more prone to ignore a question than ask for more information if the question is much too vague.
  4. Laziness: It's a lot quicker and easier to throw something out on a forum and be able to say you're waiting on an answer than it is to do the hard mental work of thinking through an issue and doing a thorough search first.
  5. Different accountability: At work, your job may be affected by poor communications. On SCN, it may affect your online reputation, which for some is not valued very highly.
  6. Not understanding the value of good communications: I find at my work that there are some people, even at the executive level, who don't understand the effectiveness and respect that comes with good communications.

In answer to your question, I think that people will tend to exhibit similar communication patterns at work as they do with SCN, but I think they'll tend to be more or less lazy with their SCN posts depending on the value that they put on their online reputation and the intensity of their desire to get a quality answer quickly.

Thanks for posting the question: interesting topic!

Glenn

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glenn,

Great post!

In answer to your question, I think that people will tend to exhibit similar communication patterns at work as they do with SCN, but I think they'll tend to be more or less lazy with their SCN posts depending on the value that they put on their online reputation and the intensity of their desire to get a quality answer quickly. 

There is a certain "reward" when a member asks a question (reward is get solutions/suggestions). This will motivate members to write clearly. But what about those who reply? When replying, can the same person have a huge difference in clarity (quality), replying in SCN and in their day job?

Time constraint could be one factor, is it the only factor?

This will then indicate choice (rather than skill).

TW

Answers (17)

Answers (17)

Former Member
0 Kudos

the peace.

The peace frees us.

Let us light.

The soul floats.

You can think ...

Reflect ...

Walk.

She, the peace,

Opens new horizons.

New perspectives.

New tomorrows.

The peace does not feed the body,

But balances ...

Ponder ...

Reveals new dreams,

Hopes.

However,

There is only peace ...

If we want !!!

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I came across this while reading some of my high school age kid's 'Writing Requirements' and it really struck a nerve.  Perhaps not every post needs to end with a 'clincher statement' but I believe that if a 15YO boy is being told 'These are the requirements for writing' that we are not being unreasonable in expecting our community of professionals to adhere to, at the very least, the first 3 bullet points. 
Even the fourth one 'Uses details and examples from the work' would definitely be advisable. 
We'll disregard the 'Evidence = full credit' because unless we implemented a solution where badly written questions ('Do my job') can result in a reduction of points, I'd hate to see what the community point gamers can come up with - to ask well-formed questions that are still ridiculous just in order to gain points.

What do you all think?  I think there should be criteria that questions must meet.  Just saying 'I'm new to SAP, how can I make Workflow send a notification to Person A' is not good enough.

Expecting I'm opening a can of worms, but hey, I can take it.

Cheers,

Sue

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I could even ask a bit more provoking

When they write that they are new to SAP then this very often means that they are coming into it with self-educating. Could this mean that there is not even the right school background for a consultant job available?

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen (dang US keyboards with no umlaut!),

Fair point.  But these writing requirements are for 15 YOs. I think most of the people on this site have probably passed that age.

I don't think we are expecting perfect spelling or perfect grammar - just that the OP attempt to fully formulate what exactly it is they are trying to ask - to put as much effort into the question as they hope they will get in return?

On another note, I have found very often that just thinking about writing a good question will provide me with a 'fresh set of eyes' and it helps me find the answer myself.

But then again, I don't ask people to google stuff for me either. 🙂

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Some are licensed to provoke and some not. I would love to respond and provide a different prospective. However I’m warned that since my comments are provoking and offensive, I should refrain. You guys have fun. I’m out of coffee corner. Good luck.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sam,

SCN has a mission/badge - Thought Leader. I am motivated by it even if I am not yet rewarded with it. A thought leader will champion his/her honest thoughts, pov, even if it means making the community feel uncomfortable, if he/she feels that it is for the greater good of the community.

I think you are a thought leader. You don't shy away from putting your pov out there. Your posts have led to many "mini conversations" in this thread. Maybe some don't agree but as said we should all respect it and each other. Please continue your participation.

You could ask the moderators, what exactly they feel is offensive in your posts and maybe you can rephrase or modify those parts, with the good intended meaning intact.

Typewriter

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sue,

The implementation of these pointers as based on the "foundations" we have discussed i.e.

- how we value our contributions (posts) and ourselves

- hard work (and lack of laziness)

- clarity in mind leads to clarity in ones writing

TW

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Historically, the main problem to human kind is always the majority of humans.If we glance quickly at the world history, when the slaves were lynched to death in the south, majority folks then thought that was right thing to do. When apartheid was official and when Nelson Mandela was branded as terrorist, the world majority approved. During the time of Nazi rule, most Germans thought Hitler to be the best man in the world. Hitler’s conduct of Jews were also approved by German majority. Majority thought the Indian Sati system was perfect thing to do. (Those who don’t know, Sati is an obsolete Indian funeral custom where a widow was expected to immolate herself on her husband's pyre, or commit suicide in another fashion shortly after her husband's death).

Does all those above majority are right. Yes, right then and wrong today. So what is right and wrong? It’s defined by the emotions of majority at any given point of time. If the majority think a wrong thing is correct. Then it’s correct. If majority thinks a good thing is bad. Then it’s bad. That’s the way this world will always be. Does that mean a majority can't determine right and wrong. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Today’s modern thoughts are tomorrow’s primitive thoughts.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I though you'd left the coffee corner?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

mat,

sam had left but i requested him to revist. in all fairness...we all leave and then comeback and then leave and then....when ever we feel the urge for coffee and cookies.

coffee shops work in the same way...

tw

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW Typewriter wrote:

You could ask the moderators, what exactly they feel is offensive in your posts and maybe you can rephrase or modify those parts, with the good intended meaning intact.

Typewriter

If the moderators reach out to you explaining that there have been complaints about your posts, then I think it is extremely likely that they will be as clear and exact as possible. Don't you?

One of the issues with moderation (in general) is that much goes on behind the scenes that really is confidential. The purpose of the confidentiality is to protect the individuals involved. For that reason I think that any further discussion on this particular topic (moderator communication with Sam P) stop right now.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On a few other boards I'm a member of, we have people who get upset with moderators and then (as we call it in our slang) "flounce". Some leave for good, others return after a few days once they've calmed down (but usually continue their snipes at the moderators). But 52 minutes between snacks... that way leads to obesity in fairly short order.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sam P wrote:

Historically, the main problem to human kind is always the majority of humans.If we glance quickly at the world history, when the slaves were lynched to death in the south, majority folks then thought that was right thing to do. When apartheid was official and when Nelson Mandela was branded as terrorist, the world majority approved. During the time of Nazi rule, most Germans thought Hitler to be the best man in the world. Hitler’s conduct of Jews were also approved by German majority. Majority thought the Indian Sati system was perfect thing to do. (Those who don’t know, Sati is an obsolete Indian funeral custom where a widow was expected to immolate herself on her husband's pyre, or commit suicide in another fashion shortly after her husband's death).

Does all those above majority are right. Yes, right then and wrong today. So what is right and wrong? It’s defined by the emotions of majority at any given point of time. If the majority think a wrong thing is correct. Then it’s correct. If majority thinks a good thing is bad. Then it’s bad. That’s the way this world will always be. Does that mean a majority can't determine right and wrong. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Today’s modern thoughts are tomorrow’s primitive thoughts.

Either a self-evident truth or complete twaddle. So what's your point?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

mat,

Yes, I have received reasons stated clearly from moderators, when my posts were rejected. My point was getting feedback from moderators and using that constructively. I had not hinted on getting feedback in any form, where it would be visible to others.

TW

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
On another note, I have found very often that just thinking about writing a good question will provide me with a 'fresh set of eyes' and it helps me find the answer myself.

Sue,

This is an interesting point and I also feel the same way - it is kind of thinking and desiring to write a clear question/post. Please elaborate on it.

TW

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into a problem, asked a co-worked to come look, and then as soon as you start to explain the issue, you get a #headsmack?  You realize either what the problem is or another way to try to solve it?  Maybe you mention a transaction, a table, a function... and that triggers a thought... Wouldn't it work if I called that thingy first?

I have no proof to this, but I believe that in trying to articulate the problem well to someone else, you are forced out of the mode of 'Why doesn't this things %&*@(@# work' to 'How can I explain this so they can help me?'

I'd be interested in hearing your experience too. 

matt
Active Contributor
keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow, Matthew. RESPECT.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've had the cardboard programmer experience soooooo many times! My son uses a similar technique in his physics masters, where he's studying the fluid dynamics with exploding stars... he explains the problems to me! At least, that's why I think he does it. He can't possibly think I have a clue, can he?

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sue

I've had moments like that all the time. As I start explaining the problem to someone who isn't across the details it forces me be more concise and detailed. As I talk it through my sentence sometimes trails of to 'Col's an <<insert expletive>?'. The person stares at me whilst I'm thanking them as I realise the solution when I looked at it from a different point of view.

I guess it's up there with you never see your spelling or grammar mistakes until after you press submit or have someone with free eyes look at them. Your mind is to fixated that you are blinkered to your flaws.

Someone who posts on SCN like they are talking/rambling has not taken the time and effort to figure out what they are trying to get. Even if English is a second language, very basic improvements like paragraphs, headers (my problem, my confusion, what I am asking what I have searched and finally what I have tried), examples and screen shots can make a huge difference to asking a question. I don't think this topic is so much writing a grammatically incorrect sentence or spelling (though run spell check could improve that a bit) but more being structure and clear in your requirements.

Regards

Colleen

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, this, totally. Back in my network administrator days, I joked about how often people would call me for help, and as soon as I arrived at their workstation and asked them to show me the problem, they couldn't make it fail anymore. I would say "it's my magical presence that fixed it" or some equally inane thing, but I understood that in repeating the steps for an observer they were forced to slow down and think about what they were doing, even if they couldn't consciously identify what they did differently.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matt Fraser wrote:

I would say "it's my magical presence that fixed it" or some equally inane thing, but I understood that in repeating the steps for an observer they were forced to slow down and think about what they were doing, even if they couldn't consciously identify what they did differently.

+1 here, have been on the "giving" and "receiving" ends myself. Actually a couple of times I started typing a question on SCN but half way through realized something else and found a solution. So this works virtually too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we have time to join our fragments then we recreate our souls.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eduardo,

thanks! but is this a free flowing thought/realization...or is it linked with the subject in hand? both are fine.

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was posted as a choice.

I believe that all answers are fragments showing our thoughts, our souls.

None of them should be neglected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just wanted to answer the comment but it disappeared...

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ekaterina Bondarenko wrote:

But we all got the email, so we know what it was.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, we all didn't. You still have email notifications turned on for all comments? Wow. I disabled that a LONG time ago.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still have that turned on. Sometimes I think about turning it off, but then an email prompts me to jump into a conversation I'd have missed, at least in a timely fashion. So it stays on. For now...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not, saw it in Communications direct.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But how would you know about all those 'great blog' comments otherwise? Or do you do just "drive-by" posts and don't care about follow-up?

Checking Communications doesn't seem super-convenient, but I guess it's a matter of taste...

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I pretty much have Communications up in a different window most of the time. I haven't really found it all that inconvenient, except when it goes through one of its regular hiccups and doesn't update properly, or when one particular thread generates so many short, frequent comments that it becomes overwhelming (which would overwhelm email too, right?). In that latter case, if it starts to seem irrelevant, I will turn off tracking on that thread, instead choosing to manually go look at the thread once a day or so... or not. That has only happened a couple times, though.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ekaterina,

please do reply...doesn't matter is something has disappeared. We would love you hear your thoughts. It is coffee corner...COL

(playing the host, yet again...and I haven't read the disappeared post...but will search and find it...maybe I will get less hours of sleep...in the quest for searching)

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was just that Moderators vs Users is a usual holly war, sometimes even worse than Windows vs Linux.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the "war" becomes complicated when the same person is an users and well as a moderator...the battle lies within

TW

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you also call car drivers vs police a war?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm... It depends. I saw a couple of situations where it really was.

The main point is that some people with power forget the reality of the majority, whether it happens with forum rules or state laws is not so important. On the other side some people from the majority are sure that everyone who has power becomes too arrogant and creates rules, laws etc. only because he can.

Everybody has his/her own truth.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moderator, user... people tend to forget that first and formost everybody is a person, human. So everybody should be treated with the same respect and manner that you yourself want to be treated with.

It's kind of simple, but it seems like it's always the simple things that are forgotten the fastest.

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or Java x C# kkkk

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi Warnecke wrote:

Moderator, user... people tend to forget that first and formost everybody is a person, human. So everybody should be treated with the same respect and manner that you yourself want to be treated with.

Steffi, can't believe you are falling into the troll trap! There is a difference between a person and their behavior. We can respect the person but this does not mean that all their behavior has to be tolerated. E.g. I do respect my kid but if he misbehaves then he'll hear from me or a teacher. Correcting undesired behavior <> lack of respect. And on SCN it's the role of moderators to correct the behavior and enforce SCN rules.

Besides when someone is posting illegible or LMGTFY-type questions are they actually acting with utmost respect to other SCN members? I don't think so.

@Sue - you had me at "Expresses a complete, clearly focused idea". I'd vote to add it to ROE right now.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did I? I don't think so, but maybe we read my comment differently. And I surely didn't feed the troll, because I was responding to someone else.

But I'm absolutly with you with the rest of your post.  

former_member204995
Participant
0 Kudos

" Do you think members who post these kinds of questions, replies; do the same in their day jobs too? "

Yes and No...............A Lot have poor English and their verbal communication is not understood all the time, however,  80% it is a complete different story when it comes to writing, 20% you  would  not be able to make up if this was originally meant to be in English.

I would agree that we are not here trying to make fun of poorly written inquiry, but also it is not a bad idea to read your posting, make sure it could be understood, and the message is clear,  prior to click Post. 

And in case you are in doubt whether your posting in English is clear or not, turn off all your native music, movies, and try to listen and read more English.

It helps a lot, i know it helped me quarter of a century ago 

Hope my English is clear enough.

For the fun of it:  23 years ago, i was on the phone with another member of the congregation, i am trying to give out the mailing address, then he stopped me to ask if the second word starts with a "B" like boy or a  "B" like Beter !     Yes it took me more than 45 seconds to realize what he meant.

Cheers !

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

So ... I want to leave a question here of an issue that I see being seen much in the spaces, threads with low questions.

I see a lot in the ABAP space questions that in my opinion are of academic levels and often these posts are alerted, analyzed and deleted by the moderators or not, I warn enough space, I admit, but does that necessarily is correct? We are not here to exchange knowledge? Does banning questions thus would not run some of the community's ideology?

I'm sorry if I wrote something that had been discussed here, I confess that I was too lazy to see all replies

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael, not sure I understand what you mean... Can you post an example?

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

Sorry for the delay... I ended up having some problems at home and I was expecting a basic question arises on the ABAP space.

Here's the example:

This question is basic and can will be alerted as "failed to search" or lack of knowledge.

Warm regards,

Raphael Pacheco.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raphael,

Are you asking - for academic level (which might be basic) questions, form members press alert moderator. Thus, in SCN we reject these type of questions, is this correct?

By rejecting these questions, we are impeding knowledge exchange, is this correct?

I see a lot in the ABAP space questions that in my opinion are of academic levels and often theseposts are alerted, analyzed and deleted by the moderators or not, I warn enough space, I admit, but does that necessarily is correct? We are not here to exchange knowledge? Does banning questionsthus would not run some of the community's ideology?

TW

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes for the two questions.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raphael,

one confession - I have never pressed the alert moderator button...

TW

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And.... I just did, on a "wrong space" posting.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raphael, the post you've mentioned has already been removed but, judging by the title, it was not something that can't be answered by using Google or reading SAP Help.

There is no need to maintain "knowledge exchange" in multiple places. If an answer can be found in documentation, Help or should be part of basic training then that's where everyone should go to get that knowledge. In fact, it can be quite frustrating when ABAPers search SCN and find very old posts with all kinds of advice that was bad to begin with and is not even applicable these days. Instead just go directly to the source. Granted, SAP Help is not always great but at least it doesn't contain complete nonsense.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Every time we have this kind of discussion someone comes in with a sermon about being more tolerant to fellow human beings, "turning the cheek", you name it.

As Rob correctly pointed out, we are not talking about life in general, we are talking only about SCN in particular. SCN is neither a temple nor farmers market. It's a professional web site where certain qualifications are expected.

Yes, we all were once beginners. For example, I have been on SCN for almost 10 years. When I joined, I had less than 1 year of SAP experience. Can anyone find at least one of my questions that would deserve a trip to LMGTFY? Most likely not. That's because I "fish" and do stuff myself before asking for help.

And no, sorry, we should not just ignore the "do my job" posts for a simple reason - it's quite possible we'll have to work with those people some day. And they will be likely producing sub-par services. On top of that, such "professionals" give bad rep to the whole profession or even country.

People who come to SCN with poorly-written questions and "do my job" posts are not some kind of disadvantaged or disabled population or "apples" who can't influence their own ripeness. They have access to Internet and a job.  All they lack is desire to do things themselves and to learn.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I kept clicking on the like button, but couldn't make it go any higher. Top post.

Former Member
0 Kudos
And no, sorry, we should not just ignore the "do my job" posts

Suddenly I have an idea, +1 point for correct moderator alerting. -1 for wrong alerting, to prevent people who will alert just to have points.

Or special badges "I have alerted" (1), "In a alerting mood" (10), "Alert hero", "Alert hero +", but still -1 for every wrong alerting.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

and how about 100 points for your idea

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It would be nice. But should be optional - I'd rather people mistakenly reported what they shouldn't than they be too scared to report what they should.

I just wish there was some way to be sure...

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also there is still that thing that when it's "Wrong space" and the content is moved, the alert will be rejected making it therefor "wrong", even though it was correct.

mohan26050908
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Typewriter,

Most of the users who is looking for solutions, they don't look at the matter.

Majority users prefer not to read stories and details about the post, they will go straight to the point

As long as problem solved cool...........(Modern Developers)

Developers don't  think writing about narrations, details,

Majority users who is posting in SCN  may not understating the issue. then how can they write clear post?

Majority SCN users are non native English speakers 

Cheers

PRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Typewriter,

Good to see the questions that you have raised but lets accept the fact these kind of problem happens due to many reasons:

• First: People don't understand the business requirement.
  • Second: The focus for most of the folks are only answer or solution without understanding the full requirement, problem, why the problem has happened, is it a design issue, it is an issue with the business process, is it a system issue so its clear categorization of the issue is also a great problem.
  • Third: Knowledge level of people are different who access SCN for searching answers, clarification etc.
  • Fourth: Not paying attention or having a thought process to divulge into the detail, this is basically due to mindset, attitude only towards somehow trying to know a particular transaction code, what to configure etc.

How to address this problem:

• By knowing all these and many more points like these, it is evident that we can not rule out this problem totally however some improvement can be done by establishing the fact here like what we have rules of engagement for writing blogs, there should be rules of engagement for even to post a query, at least to make sure that proper procedure is followed just like when we raise an OSS we write all the details to get a clear answer of our question:
  • What is the issue
  • Which module-sub module
  • When is the issue
  • Providing the screendump about the error or issue
  • Which business process does this issue relate to
  • Why the issue i.e. any idea about what could be the reason - this can be given by the person itself who is raising the question sometimes else off course the person who answers
  • Providing clarifications how the issue is addressed or resolved with the solution in few words (many a times this is completely missing, only the answer is its solved but the person who raised the question does not care or take responsibility to answer it for the other members so that they can be benefited easily.
  • Many a a times an issue is raised and while there are discussion going on for that and people are trying to help for that issue, somebody else enter into that and raise more questions and the issue remain unanswered.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Majority users prefer not to read stories and details about the post, they will go straight to the point

As long as problem solved cool...........(Modern Developers)

Developers don't  think writing about narrations, details,

Majority users who is posting in SCN  may not understating the issue. then how can they write clear post?

Poluboyena,

It is not about writing stories or about narrations...it is about being succinct and get your problem across clearly. One way to be precise is to get straight to the point.

To be clear and concise in one's writing, one need to be clear in his/her head.

It isn't easy...easier is to use technical jargon and go round and round, chanting nonsense and then infering "job well done" because of the volume of talk time.

TW

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just had this idea:

Looks like to many here in this discussion the poorly written questions, blogs etc. are annoying.

Maybe even up to the level of TV ads...

How about having the option to "click away" the annoying content?

No rectification required, no "reason for Moderation alert", no nothing.

Just a click and the annoying content is gone and vanished forever from the users view.

But here's the catch: it'll be hidden just for that user.

Everyone else would still be able to see the content.

Up until a couple of people decide to click on the "this annoys me" button.

If say ten people clicked on it, then the OP gets an automated warning, the content is put back to edit by the OP and can be republished.

If the republished version yields new "annoys" it could be handed to moderation.

This at least would keep a lot of noise out of everybody's sight.

No?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

(playing the host) Lot of good views and contributions!

It all comes down to

...how we see and value our contributions and ultimately ourselves.

If one values him/herself highly then he/she will not be lazy - to search existing material, to take the time to do R&D on the test system etc., will be courageous - to say I don't know and please explain (in the right context) rather than hiding silently, will not want instant gratification

self value (not over-value), hard word (honesty, sincerity, rework) and perseverance

I might choose not to focus on my self value with my identity as Typewriter...but maintain focus on my "other" identify (which I might use for my day job). this mindset will make me point to "...is a choice".

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

About 10 years ago I was wondering the same question on one local technical forum and heard from my online-friend "rules of almost all the forums are too long, complex and boring, modern people prefer not to read more than one page, owners should either shorten the rules or find more moderators, ideally 24/7. Of course nobody has time to use search, so "google it" is a very unprofessional answer... And who cares about misspelling until it influences on his/her daily activities but it never does". Neither a kind nor a polit.correct answer from his side but explained the situation.

Maybe it is clip thinking that made and continue making many of us too lazy. Twitter is better than blog, picture is better than text, simplifying as much as possible, shortening words and using same terms for the same things in all the languages. Or maybe I am just going older and should buy the last iPhone?

Regards

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

[...]Of course nobody has time to use search, so "google it" is a very unprofessional answer... [...]

I just love this "argument". It's kind of strange, that those people have no time to search for themselves, but seem to have a lot of time to write a question and then start the "back and forth" game. And even better: THEY have no time, but of course expect everyone else to have the time to help with their problem. And of course the others are "unprofessional" when they go the "search yourself!" way.

Sometimes I really don't want to live on this planet anymore. -.-  

@Ekaterina: I've heard that sometimes, too. I really wonder, how those people can be employed somewhere?! Haven't they read their job contract either, because it's probably longer than one page and contains all sorts of boring stuff und info? Boy oh boy...

And isn't it sad, that you asked this 10 years ago and the same attitute still exists? But I guess, that kind of mindset will always be present.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Haven't they read their job contract either, because it's probably longer than one page and contains all sorts of boring stuff und info?

He-he... If everybody carefully read his/her contract before signing, lawyers would have at least twice less work. But job contracts can be sometimes really unclear to a person without law knowledge.

I really wonder, how those people can be employed somewhere?! ... But I guess, that kind of mindset will always be present.

Sometimes I start thinking it is just the lack of people and they were chosen as the best variant... But I don't want to believe in it. Probably they have another talents that we don't.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think "google it" is an unprofessional answer and, in fact, wish more SCN members would just answer that instead of trying to guess what the heck OP was asking about or doing the googling for them. It's more effective to "teach a man to fish", as we all know. The problems start when "man" does not actually want to fish but prefers to have a fish fillet brought to them on a silver plate. And that's cool but then they should not be employed as fishermen.

P.S. Of course it should be "man/woman", but this proverb predates PC, sorry.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Give a man fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. (Sir Terry Pratchett, R.I.P.)

former_member190578
Participant
0 Kudos

Google created an special site for "google it" ->  http://lmgtfy.com/

Or sometimes instead of "google it" it might fits RFTM -> http://bfy.tw/6OY

But in my last company we had a developer joke:

If somebody told you: "RTFM"

We answered: "Handbooks are for sissies"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also difficulties are not the part of a morden life concept, everything should (seem to) be as easy and funny as possible, so ready fish fillet on a silver plate without any fishing is more valuable than with it... Thinking hirts.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe, but I don't think this egocentric "I want it all without doing something for it" mindset should be supported, but discouraged. This is still a professional forum, so the "I don't care, I do what I want. Deal with it!" attitute should have no place here. It's like entertaining a spoiled brat and who's benefitting from that? Nobody, not even the brat in the long term.

But that only works, if everybody is on the same page and not doing the leg work for those lazy "do my job for me" guys. I know, I've done my share of spoonfeeding, but I stopped that some time ago exactly for this reason.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the other side "do my job for me" is possible only when not doing this job doesn't cause any serious problems for the topic starter (and can be easily ignored or sent to FAQ&Search). If it would, he/she would do his/her best him/herself.

In this case problem seems to be deeper: if someone really doesn't do his job regularly but only asks on SCN and waits for the answer why is it tolerated in the company?

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the company knew what really went on than it is fair to assume that this is not tolerated at all.

There is also a big chance that some of these questions are nothing more than interview questions where the interviewee does not have access to SAP nor the required attributes needed for the job.

In any case it is something that is not professional and that no professional here should indulge.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm... I never had a possibility to ask questions on SCN during my interview. In fact I always had typical face to face interviews and all the technical things should be in my head. Even Skype is still face to face.

Are there some other types of interviews for newbies? I am not kidding but try to imagine this. Interviewewees receive some homework and should send it the next morning, then why do not ask friends allready in SAP world for a help?

former_member185132
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The skill of asking a proper question is closely linked to the skill of problem solving. If you have the habit of problem-solving (either on your own or via googling) then you know how to describe the one you can't solve and what info will be relevant to others. And you would include that in your question.

To me, a poorly written post is one with zero details (or the almost equally bad opposite, giving the whole info-dump from ST22/program code instead of just the relevant bits) and has a strong correlation with poor problem-solving habits. Language skills are just incidental here. If you just post samples of your input and expected/actual output one can probably figure out the solution even if you write the rest of your stuff in pidgin English. Maybe even if you mix in a bit of Klingon or Dothraki.

So people who have difficulty communicating the problem in SCN would face pretty much the same difficulty whether they chose verbal or written, because the problem is actually that they don't know what info they need to share. On this dimension I don't think people have distinctly different levels of clarity in asking questions whether it is SCN or StackOverflow or the "real world".

Now there are people who communicate better verbally than in writing and vice-versa, but that is a negligible factor - even if you're bad at writing down and describing the problem you could mention the needed details as long as you knew what they were. That's the key.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the problem is actually that they don't know what info they need to share.

Precisely. It's the same people who ask for step by step because seemingly they're incapable of actually understanding what is going on in the process. You describe a way of solving a problem, and they demand the ABAP code to do it.

This has spilled over into some documents which are step-by-step guides of a particular technique with screen shots - but they lack any explanatory content. I've come to the conclusion that many people don't want to understand at a deeper level (which would enable them to achieve so much more), they just want a cookbook they can follow. No initiative, no imagination, no ambition to be better.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nothing to disagree with here.

I completely agree on the view on this "weak" content.

And to be honest I dislike it. I feel that having such content doesn't make any headroom. It doesn't move anything forward.

Then again, this is true in a similar fashion for say junk food.

Nevertheless it's immensely popular and basically no major store and restaurant can do without it.

I've got the strong feeling that any community needs it's share of fast food. Maybe it's just to attract enough visitors for reaching critical viewer counts. Maybe it's to provide a stepping-stone for beginners.

Coming to the original question about some form of visibility to which content is "fast food" and which is a "home-made organic grown healthy dish prepared by a master chef with love and effort": there is a classic solution for this.

It's called 'editing'. Someone rates and curates content and puts it out to readers with the tick of "this is read/watch/listen-worthy".

The question of course is: do we in SCN want something like that?

A quality-gate that of course comes with a gate-keeper/bouncer?

Maybe this whole frustration actually goes farther. Could it be that we get frustrated because we're all working in a line of business with practically no entry barriers? A profession where competency, experience and responsibility are considered useful but not weighted against the next consultant who "does the job" for a nickel less?

Isn't it understandable that one gets frustrated after say 20 years in this industry, plenty of projects, technologies, business situations, certifications and crisis under her/his belt when a newbie/starter/young professional walks in and is just handed the privileges (interesting choice of word for what one is allowed to do with a system) to do what you do?

Ok, don't want to force this discussion into a complete different direction, so I stop here. I just think that the notion of poor content is also a lot about how we see and value our contributions and ultimately ourselves.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I think you are quite right, a lot of our reaction is driven by where we see ourselves fitting into this industry and how we could be affected.  And yes, I'll openly admit it is frustrating and annoying to see posts such as this, as it shows where a lot of the jobs and money is going and what that results in.

When I was younger and maybe not as secure, I got really wound up by it all as I perceived it to be a threat to my livelihood.  I'm sure many others in our industry can relate to this.  As I've matured in my carrier I don't worry or even think about it like that anymore - I don't feel threatened by someone who has an "urjent" requirement to add a column to an ALV...  I think those who are most threatened are the ones on the middle rungs of their carriers (sic) as they know enough to realise these sort of posts are from people who could be chasing their jobs in the near future, but they aren't experienced/confident/mature enough to realise they are probably safe.

My frustration now manifests itself when I have to deal with the fallout of, as you describe, practically no entry barriers to our world and what that can do to a customer's system.  Fun times...

Cheers,

G.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Usually I also cringe at those "step by step guides with screenshots" that have no other content. But to be fair - I've benefited myself from them a few times when doing something that is way outside my area of expertise. There are cases (especially if you work in a support team) when one does not need in-depth knowledge to perform once-in-a-lifetime task.

The problem begins when instead of being an exception this becomes modus operandi and the person becomes incapable of doing anything on their own without a step-by-step guide (with screenshots!). Similar to food - an occasional trip to McDonalds won't hurt but making it part of your regular diet most likely won't end well.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lars Breddemann wrote:

It's called 'editing'. Someone rates and curates content and puts it out to readers with the tick of "this is read/watch/listen-worthy".

The question of course is: do we in SCN want something like that?

A quality-gate that of course comes with a gate-keeper/bouncer?

We've been raising this issue since SDN became SCN because the system of "likes" and "ratings" was somehow supposed to serve this exact purpose - to elevate the read-worthy content. Luckily, I have my own personal "editors" - SCN members whom I follow. Activity stream shows me what they liked and it's sufficient endorsement for me.

Editing all content would be a slippery slope on a community web site. "Communal editing" would work IMHO if only it was implemented better. Right now we have "top liked" content, but ratings don't seem to be measured at all. Also there is no "dislike" button (which I proposed and it was declined even though it had very many votes) to balance all those "likes".

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I think the "vote up" and "vote down" options should bring in the basic function of the "dislike" button without perhaps the same perception of negativity. Not to say that can't still be abused in the way it was feared a dislike button could be.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with all the hypotheses proposed so far but want to suggest another not yet mentioned. I suspect that some of these people have been in IT jobs that are very routine where a step by step recipe can be followed.( How to Unlock an SAP User and reset her password: 1. Launch SAP GUI and log on to correct SAP client 2. Select transaction SU01 from your Favorites or type SU01 in the Command Field and Enter. 3....) Now, after demonstrating proficiency at following a recipe for some time, they have been asked to do something requiring some problem solving or sleuthing skills, never heretofore required.  What, you are not going to tell me how to do this? I have to THINK and figure it out, all on my own? Problem solving is a new experience for some people, even some IT people. Then if they have enough snap to search the SAP support portal, they may spot that handy link  SAP Support on SCN, so then here they are.

Gretchen

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you mean they used a GPS to find their workplace every day again?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gretchen,

Thanks for this unmentioned "cause" / reason for poorly constructed posts! But someone who does not have the necessary skills for his/her current position (for example SAP analyst) could still write clear and understandable posts. These two are interlinked (cause and effect) but if someone has clarity and comprehension as important in his priority list, he/she would write clearly even when in a job they don't have the requisite skills for.

TW

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gareth is a tough act to follow here... But to answer directly TW's question - I don't believe that any of those people suffer from a mental disability or a medical condition that affects their brain function, so in this case lack of skill is the choice and such posts are the consequence.

And I honestly don't know how those people could possibly have a job with SAP access. Heck, I don't even know how they managed to finish elementary school because that's where the basic cause and effect skills are developed.

However, I see such people outside of SCN as well, so starting to suspect that the movie Idiocracy (please use your mad search skills to look it up) has come true already.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I recommend "The Marching Morons" novella, by C M Kornbluth. I'm sure Idiocracy is based on it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Here's my take on this...

I put a lot of the root cause down to the globalisation of our industry and subsequent demand for cheap resource, fast.  The old adage of "pay peanuts, get monkeys" definitely rings true in a lot of cases, however, I think the issue is more nuanced than that.  Basic problem solving and logic processing capabilities are simply not on the radar for lots of the people posting these sort of questions to SCN.

I also believe SCN is perceived completely differently depending on where in the world you are based and the culture you work within.  I think many parts of our industry actually believe SCN is a support system, where you can turn to for help with anything, and someone will do your work for you.  The idea that you ask your colleague sat next to you or your team lead for help with a problem is always much lower down the list of things to do, with "ask SCN" as always the top answer.  I'm not sure where "Google is your friend" fits into that list.  I strongly suspect some team leads actually answer any "hard" question with "ask SCN", as they have only got to team lead status by virtue of lasting long enough, not through any other valuable measure.  They have none of their own problem solving or investigative skills and hence cannot pass those skills down to their team members.

To give an example, if ever I have something I don't understand/can't make work/can't break/want to know more about/etc. I open up Chrome and search via Google.  I then follow the results down various avenues until I either hit a dead end with no chance to find the result (doesn't happen often); I have dealt with the specific problem/issue/opportunity that triggered my initial search; or I have gathered enough knowledge and understanding to satisfy myself for the time-being.  If Google ever fails me, I'll ask those around me (either in my physical location, my broader "local" network or indeed global network depending on the topic - sometimes I know the correct person/persons to ask straight off.)  Sometimes of course, I'll know to ask my network before Google'ing.  Over the years, I've developed problem solving and investigative abilities because they are a fundamental aspect of doing my job well.  I've always maintained one of the key skills of an SAP consultant isn't knowing everything, it is knowing how to find out the stuff you don't know.  This will never change.

The people who post rubbish to SCN simply don't think like this.  Their problem solving and investigative abilities start and stop with the task "Post inane and vague question to SCN".  That's it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  This approach almost appears to be encouraged.  We see SCN used as a training tool - "hey new team member who knows nothing about the PP module, your training starts this afternoon.  We want you to follow the PP space on SCN and learn everything you can - next week you will start to support our biggest customers with their PP functions."  I believe SCN points and reputation is used as part of the CV building process in an attempt to show capability as well.

I could rant on and on and on, on this topic but will stop there...

Cheers,

G.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You mean, like this post

I think this is the problem

First line is

SAP Community Network (SCN) is a great place for SAP professionals to connect, collaborate and build their reputations.

I have to come to the conclusion, even if it is not a nice conclusion but it is the harsh reality, that this forum is also used by non-professionals who try to become professionals by trying to cowboy their way out of requirements they do not understand which explains why these questions make no sense.

If you don't understand the requirement and have no experience in the field you will get poorly written posts T-dubz.

I think that this accounts for the majority of poorly constructed for want of a better word.. questions.

Cheers, Rob Dielemans

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If you don't understand the requirement and have no experience in the field you will get poorly written posts T-dubz.

Rob,

Not understanding the requirement clearly...might also be a manifestation of laziness.

I agree with Glenn's point 4

it is to do the hard mental work of thinking through an issue and doing a thorough search first.

sometimes, I find it difficult to separate the "unimportant" from the main point, in written and verbal communication. To straight away go to the crux / essence - while asking or replying - requires thinking, prioritizing, structuring and reviewing.

I feel it is not so much about native English speaker (it plays a role but not that big, when you can site examples etc. and communicate your point)

TW

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob,

Would you go with "lack of skill"?

So, those who write poorly in SCN, also write poorly in their day job.

TW

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Next year will be my tenth anniversary of being active on SCN(/SDN).

In that time I have seen loads of poorly written posts and after some time came to the conclusion that not being able to fully comprehend the English language is not the explanation.

I've witnessed numerous occasions where a non native speaker with sub basic language skills was able to formulate a question in such a way that I could comprehend what the problem was and where I can start giving sound advise on how to solve it.

I think personally that the only reasons which might explain this behaviour are:

1. extreme lazyness

2. non professionals

3. sleep deprivation.

Cheers, Rob.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey,

I would even without hesitation go as far to say that this is not their daily job. How many times have you encountered a question which clearly is an interview question.

I believe the majority of poorly written questions in SCN is caused by people who are trying to do a job that they are not qualified for or by people who try to get into a job that they are not yet qualified for.

KR, Rob.

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will also agree that the general problem is laziness or wanting someone else to do all your work.  Developers are not writers by nature, so I really don't expect "perfect" use of the language.  I also see that sometimes even the native speakers slip into "conversational" versus "written" form of the language. 

Take care,

Stephen

former_member190578
Participant
0 Kudos

TW Typewriter wrote:

Rob,

Would you go with "lack of skill"?

So, those who write poorly in SCN, also write poorly in their day job.

TW

I would agree to this point because I experienced this a lot in a couple projects.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

I think it will really depend on the reason. Where it's a poorly worded question due to lack of knowledge (i.e. they don't know how to pose the question as they don't know what they are asking) may not be evident in the workplace

It is possible the person will either remain silent (there's a saying there of keeping your mouth shut so you're not confirmed a fool) or they may be knowledgeable in other areas and more confident in communication style as a result.

Then there is the worse situation - everyone else in the room with them is just as ignorant and therefore, they're all talking this way thinking it's normal.

There is a big culture on SCN and a lot of tech people who don't know how to analyse. It is quite scary when they Google or search SCN for their error message and just take the hit and try to apply the solution. Many tech areas are quite general so knowing what to search for is critical.

I've watched a junior attempt this and there was very little processing happening between his ears - even with two senior people sitting with him trying to step him through what questions to ask - teach him how to think and what to look for instead of just giving the answer. He just wanted to take the top hit in Google and make system changes based on the recommendation which was outdated and did not apply to our platform.We just wanted to take his system access away.

This junior was always quiet and didn't say much in the office so it was difficult to ascertain what he did and did not know. At least we could see his monitor. It's a lot harder when someone is in a different location and can hide behind email.

Regards

Colleen

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Wake up a race car driver from his mid-night sleep (You better be his best friend). Provide him a race car with a target destination and time limit. He will surely demonstrate his driving ability even with those heavy-eyes. Since he acquired those hard earned skills,most probably he wouldn't drive negligent (just to make a choice).

Having said that, it's also silly and immature to accuse or poke someone who lack certain desired skills. That is the way this world will always be, e.g.few extremely rich (Warren Buffet),some average (bill to bill) and  some very poor. Similarly, few skilled (TW Type writer), some semi-skilled and some unskilled (me). That equation is never gonna change and it's unwise to sweat on that. After a long and lengthy discussion, we all will be back to square one. It's just a matter of time.However the topic is good for a healthy discussion.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, I've met and worked with some of the extremely rich, and most of them are no more intelligent or skilled than anyone else. Just right connections, right family, just plain lucky or overweening political skills while being sociopaths in other areas.

The first time I worked with the directors of a multinational I was quite surprised how dull witted some of them were. The majority are not brilliant and smart -  though the ones that are are incredible.

Having spent a lot of time rejecting posts with insufficient information and/or unclear requirements, it's usually pretty clear whether the poster has just made a brainfart, or whether they really are putting in the effort, but just aren't very good at writing. I remember one occasion where I rejected with the comment "Why don't you share with us exactly what the error message is? You think that might help?" They complained to the administrators... funnily enough their complaint was clear and erudite!

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthew Billingham wrote:

They complained to the administrators... funnily enough their complaint was clear and erudite!

Maybe it was written by their lawyer?

By the way - asking about an error message and not actually posting it seems to be some kind of a trend lately...

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sam,

Your reason seems to be "lack of time"...do you incline towards "it is a choice"? Because devoting (not devoting) time is a matter of choice.

I agree that making fun, ridiculing is bad, but constructively making clear that your post is difficult to understand and the I (the respondent) can not help (for free)...is this in any way negative?

Typewriter

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

We all can run, but not as fast as Usain Bolt does. Would it be fair if Usain Bolt and fellow fast runners poke fun of SCN members because we are unskilled in what he does. It would definitely be an insult.

Dissect this world based on any criteria. Let it be about a particular skill, wealth, civilization, culture, custom, tradition, religion or education.  On any of those topic, this world will never be on the same level. There will be always be highs and lows, good and bad, civilized and uncivilized, saints and criminals, modern and primitive, skilled and unskilled in every portion of world. That was the way this world was for many past centuries and that is the way it’s going to be in the future as well. It’s impossible to bring everyone to the same level. So why criticize and pass remark at someone who is not at same expected level.  That’s my opinion and I could be wrong.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sam P wrote:

We all can run, but not as fast as Usain Bolt does. Would it be fair if Usain Bolt and fellow fast runners poke fun of SCN members because we are unskilled in what he does. It would definitely be an insult.[..]

Who do you think would be insulted, if somebody was hired as a fast runner and lets somebody else do all the running?

We are not comparing a gardner to a SAP system developer or administrator and expecting him/her to do and know the same basics. We are comparing somebody who is hired as ABAP developer or portal administrator with somebody else with the same job description. But one of them knows what he/she is doing and the other doesn't even know how to describe the current issue.

So who should be insulted? The one without the knowledge, who is expected to gain that knowledge and get better or the one with the knowledge, who maybe even gets the same payment as the other one?

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

When we buy a basket of apple, some will be green, some ripe and some rotten. It’s unwise to think that all going to be perfectly ripe on the event day. We will only get frustrated by expecting another human being to perform the way we want.That’ ain’t gonna happen. However we can help and guide them.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Sam,

Okay a green apple is an apple, a ripe apple is an apple and a rotten apple is also an apple.

The same goes for SAP professionals, they come in different sizes, colours and err. ripeness?!

Can you explain to me what the bare necessities are to qualify someone as an SAP professional. This is very important because that is the basis explained in the guidelines for SCN that it is a place for professionals.

I expect an SAP professional to behave in certain ways that are non negotiable.

The explanation that I, and others,  gave for these poorly written posts have to do with the lack of professionalism, not with unrealistic expectations.

Cheers, Rob Dielemans

PS how many people have a certain song now in their head sung by an anthropomorphic animal belonging to the ursidae family?

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

It’s the responsibility of the buyer to make sure the apples are good enough to take home. Once apples reach home and if your spouse is not happy about it, blame yourself. It was your choice and you didn't do a good job in selecting them. Don't blame the apples. Bite the bullet.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Couldn't agree more with you.

Now back to my question for SCN. There is no buyer here, no choice, only a minimum entry level; what make someone a professional?

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

SCN must be open for everyone without any discrimination like age,race,nationality and also for those who don’t possess good written communication skills. It’s must be a sacred site, like a holy place, for all who love SAP and nobody should stop nobody from entering and participating here. Deal or No Deal?

former_member185132
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SCN should indeed be open for everyone and I don't think anybody is suggesting that there should be discrimination on demographic grounds.

Poor comm skills aren't really a problem as long as the person asking the question takes the time and effort to  (A) solve it on their own and (B) give basic required info to enable others to help them and (C) doesn't act entitled to a response. None of these are comm skills, these are just professional skills and apply regardless of age, gender or linguistic proficiency.

If you believe it is a sacred site then you must also believe that it should be treated with respect. Asking questions that could have been answered by a simple look at the documentation, or asking questions with zero info and expecting other people (also professionals with their own day jobs) to answer them and acting entitled is not treating it with respect in my book.

Such low quality content is basically noise. The actually good content is devalued as a result is often lost in a sea of "do my job for me" questions.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sam P wrote:

It’s the responsibility of the buyer to make sure the apples are good enough to take home. Once apples reach home and if your spouse is not happy about it, blame yourself. It was your choice and you didn't do a good job in selecting them. Don't blame the apples. Bite the bullet.

If the green apple disguised himself as a ripe apple, I think you can blame the apple. That's a form of fraud and comes with consequences if found out eventually.

You can't just take all the responsibility away from "freshers", "newbies" and the lazies or insecure people and put it on those people who try to rely on them. Or on those people who try to help them. If something is wrong, it's wrong, no matter who is does. The same rules go for everyone. Not just the new kids on the blog. If Jürgen or Jelena start to write in SMS speak, put on requirements for their current assignments so that others solve it for them or just create a question as "My program dumps. Solve it ASAP with steps." then you can be sure, there will be backlash, too.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Holy sites are respected by most. However there will always be a few who brings their bad habits to a sacred site. That’s why we need moderators to police the forums. The ‘few’ equation is never going to change and it's unwise to sweat on that. After a long and lengthy discussion, in a matter of time we all will be back to square one.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is not what is in the guidelines. SCN explicitly discriminates between SAP professionals and everybody else and that is the way it should be.
What you are propagating is a blasfemy and I do not condone it , nor should anybody else.

The original post of this thread was trying to explain the increasing number of really poorly written posts and the OP wanted to know what might be causing it, my suggestion is that it is caused by a severe lack of professionality to which there is no excuse.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Today’s SAP Professional were somebody like everybody in the past. So today's "everybody "will evolve and become tomorrow’s SAP Professional.

Sorry, we have to agree to disagree.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Those opinions are well understood and everyone agrees on it. That could be a great subject for another discussion. However we are moving away from the subject of poorly written posts

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suppose this forum was a forum dedicated to professional brain surgeons. Would you then have the same sentiment when you see posts like

"How do you make your first incision, please explain"

There has to be a minimum requirement for places like this and I am very sorry for you that you do not (yet) see it this way.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

One person can't interpret or perceive things the same way another person do. That's why every individual is unique in their own way. I happened to be a fan of Mother Teresa, so I’ll support the skilled ones and also the handicapped guy (with poor written ability).

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

I've met her and saw her work and I was impressed. Naysayers gonna naysay.Can't help it.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I understand Sam's pov...and appreciate the zest to put it forward

Sam,

One of my reasons to start this thread was to improve the clarity in my posts (every where). For those interested to improve their technical writing skills, this thread will definitely help.

For those not interested or don't give a s**t about clarity (what the **** is that!!!!) or who blame others; niether this thread nor any thing will help.
TW

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

The discussion motive is well understood and you are doing a good job here. Also you might be a really funny guy to work with because you will be saying (don't give a s**t) at least a few time at work. huh ?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is citing Mother Theresa a variant of Godwin's law?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ability isn't the issue. The will to put the effort in is what matters.

There are two responses to a moderator rejection of "please share us the error message".

1. Whine and moan and report to the administrators

2. Realise that it's a bit daft not to give the error message and learn from the experience.

I've no problem with the second people - tons with the first. People too lazy to learn and when brought to book about it complain about being "hurt". Losers of the first water.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Godwin's law.No. Not at all. Hitler was never mentioned and MT cannot be considered as a variant of Godwin's law.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know - comparing others to Hitler could be considered merely the reflection of comparing yourself to Mother Theresa.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Others were NOT compared to Hitler, neither did I compared myself to MT.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you not spot the indicating a tongue in cheek comment. Anyway, I think you misunderstand the point I was making. Don't worry about it.

former_member186576
Contributor
0 Kudos

I missed it.My bad.

former_member204995
Participant
0 Kudos

not actually posting it, because may be their colleagues sitting next to them might get an idea that they are master of none.