cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows Update KB3078601 is giving errors in Crystal reports; 'Generic error occurred in GDI+'

Former Member
0 Kudos

The latest update from Microsoft has broken something in crystal reports.  Update KB3078601.  This is on Crystal Reports XI Release 2.

The report/form previews but throws up the error 'A generic error occurred in GDI+.' in a Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer.

The form has bar codes.  It will not print.

It's a patch that came out 8/15/15 marked as critical.  Will there be a patch from SAP to fix this? currently the work around is to uninstall the Windows update.

Thank you for any help!

Monica

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've the same issue

Crystal report version 10.5.3700

Bar code on the report is giving the issue

Preview works fine and print give gdi+ error

I've tried another barcode font and same result

Maybe something related to printing a filled rectangle on the report

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To everyone on this tread. Please note that each SCN Space has an Overview tab which explains what the Space is for. This Space:

The SAP Community Network provides SAP Software Downloads, including SAP NetWeaver trial software, tools based on SAP products, widgets, samples and many more. All downloads are available for free on the SAP Store

Therefore I urge all of you to please repost your queries here:

SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio

We do not monitor this Space and I only came upon it by accident. We will respond to all at the above Space.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for the report, actually just the formula string is all I needed. I have been able to duplicate the issue  in CR for VS SP 14, same SDK that Business One uses.

I'll also ask them to update CR 2008 SDK but it is end of life this year so I doubt a patch will be released. Work around is to upgrade to CR for VS SP 14 and use the POC option for the print button, see this KBA 2163438 for my test app and how to set the default.

For Business One users unfortunately that option is not available to you yet.

It's too late ( likely ) to get this into SP 15 so work around for now is to use the POC to do the printing or uninstall the MS KB patch.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

We also have the same problem, ours is a windows forms project using version 12.0.2.0 of the Reports.Engine and Windows.Forms dlls. We are not using Bar Codes, instead we use the ChrW() function in a formula to display a string of Unicode characters\symbols using the standard Arial font. This is the entire formula code that causes the GDI+ error when printing from Win 7 machines with KB3078601 installed.

ChrW(9566)+

ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+

ChrW(9569)

This produces a line with end caps that looks something like this...

|====|

I have discovered a work around that works reliably for now. Placing a Non Breaking Space ChrW(160) at the beginning of the sequence will enable the report to print without error. I also place a ChrW(160) at the end of the sequence so the visual alignment will be correct. This is the working formula...

ChrW(160)+ChrW(9566)+

ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+ChrW(9552)+

ChrW(9569)+ChrW(160)

So while this works it's obviously just a temporary work around and could break again in the future.

The Original Poster asked if there would be a Patch from SAP. Does anyone at SAP have an answer to that question yet? This issue is directly related to Microsoft's update KB3078601, is SAP working with MS on this issue? Can we expect a future MS KB to fix the issue or can we expect a SAP Patch? 

enzo_varenna
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

same problem with Crystal Reports for Visual Studio ( ver. 13.0.13.xxxx ).

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Monica

Could you check this SAP KBA 1728783

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm also very curious about SAP KBA 1728783 unfortenately I need a Login name/code.

How do I get this.

K.r. Jack

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KR

Are you having SAP Service user credential?

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, but we have a genuine (paid) version of Crystal Reports 2008. Our customers have the runtime version with our own software (Easy-Car garage software) installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

One article we found talks about charts and the size being an issue.  We aren't using charts but bar codes. 

Do your forms/reports have bar codes? 

Monica

Former Member
0 Kudos

No charts, barcode or picture. It is just an invoice with text which worked before the Windows update.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have the same problem with Crystal Report 2008 runtime in our software. We advised our customers to uninstall KB3078601. We hope that SAP will soon come with a more permanent solution. K.r. Jack