Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresher as a Functional Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Is it really necessary to have a certain level of domain experience, before becoming a functional consultant. I have read in numerous blogs how domain experience is absolutely mandatory for starting your career as a SAP Functional consultant. From my personal experience, I was initially recruited to a MNC during campus recruitment and got trained in ABAP. I worked as a technical consultant for a very short period of time and when there was a dearth in project opportunities for an ABAPer, I learned DMS and worked in projects as a DMS consultant along with ABAP. Then I took up SAP PM, got mentored by a senior PM consultant. Now, 2 years down the lane, I am working entirely as a functional consultant and I enjoy doing so. I had done my studies in non-IT background ( Electronics) and was never inclined towards programming. Hence, I felt this as a good opportunity to work and enjoy what I am doing. I have also found some of my friends ( campus recruits ) turn to functional consultants ( HCM, MM, PS ), after receiving internal training . So my question is, do I have a stable career path as a functional in the future? Or at any point of time, will I face a hindrance due to the lack of domain experience?

I will shortly take up EHS also. I have worked in implementation, support and upgrade projects and have received appreciation both from the client side as well as from the management. I also know a few people, like me, who have moved to the functional area as a fresher without any domain experience and who are now established in good positions. So again coming back to my question,should a SAP functional consultant be worried that he/she lacks domain experience ?

3 REPLIES 3

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind,

Your experience will slowly change your way of thinking.

Yes, domain experience is essential to become a functional consultant, since it will be easy to communicate to client and also understand the business requirement.

Now to enhance, if you are able to understand the client requirement and map with SAP, dont worry about anything for future. No one will ask you about your domain exp. if you are stuffed in sap.

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your reply Maria

former_member191939
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind,

You are giving me complex

You have already worked on Implementation,Support and upgrade without any domain experience and have been recognized by your client and your own company so what is there in your mind which is holding on you for domain experience?

You are doing great in your career and as Terence said your experience will slowly change your way of thinking,so just focus on your career rather than thinking about domain experience.

There are so many mandatory things in life which a person has to do it to achieve his/her goal but remember that exceptions are always there so treat yourself as an exceptional case and keep shining and rising high in SAP career.

Best of Luck

Regards

Eugene