cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbisql in SAP Sybase ASE 16 - Suse linux

0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have installed SAP sybase on suse linux. Everything is working fine except dbisql. Can anyone please guide how to use dbisql.??

When i type dbisql at the prompt it says "command-not-found dbisql". Do i have to go to any specific file location in sybase to invoke it??

thank you...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

hi

when i try to run isql64 at OCS-15_0/bin/

getting error:

CT-LIBRARY error:

ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.

Any idea how to resolve this.??

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Dinakar,

As explained in my prior post, logged with syb<SID> OS user, your Sybase environment variables should be configured properly to allow you to execute the dbisql without sourcing SYBASE.csh (or.sh) previously.

HTH

Cris

0 Kudos

Hi cris,

I am not sure it will work cos we need to run SYBASE.sh to set the env-var to connect to the database.

Any like i said before i dont have dbisql folder under sybase.

Regards,

Dinakar.

0 Kudos

Hello Dinakar,

Can you please do this for me? There should be an interfaces file under your $SYBASE directory. Check the name of the ASE server entry you want to connect.

setenv DSQUERY ASENAME

then try isql64 to see if it works.

Good luck!

- Gek

0 Kudos

Hi Gek,

Thank you for the reply. I am able to login isql/isql64. what i am trying to achieve here is the view which we get using dbisql.

Please ignore my previous error message

CT-LIBRARY error:

ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Dinakar,

(I apologize for the confusion with my previous message, I did mean "isql64", not dbisql).

In fact, when you install ASE for SAP Applications, the OS user syb<SID> gets created and under this OS user all ASE environment variables are set as they should.

So it is a good practice to log on with this OS user when you need to work in ASE environment, i.e to be able to execute any executable under $SYBASE directory, in that way you don't need to source SYBASE.sh(csh) nor set variables manually.

Now, regarding the dbisql and the fact you don't have DBISQL directory: when installing ASE for Business Suite, dbisql is not installed by default by SAPinst (our recommended tool to execute SQL commands is the SQL command line of the DBA Cockpit).

However, you should be able to install it afterwards using directly the setup executable of the SAP ASE media and selecting the custom installation with only the option Interactive SQL (be careful to not select any other option!).

HTH

Cris

0 Kudos

No worries Dinakar!

0 Kudos

Thanks Cris.....My problem resolved after installing Interactive sql ( custom installation of sybase).

Thank you so much...Appreciate your help

Regards,

Dinakar

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Thanks cris/Nic/Marc.....As i am using SAP sybase i think there wont be DBISQL cos i dont have that folder under sybase in the first place.

i am able to connect using isql commnad... isql -Usapsa -S<sid> -X. but  i dont like the way the query result appear . In dbisql the format is tabular which is very clear to understand.

I think i have to use SCC instead in this case...

Regards,

Dinakar.

0 Kudos

Hello Dinakar,

Have you tried the SQL command line in DBA Cockpit?

- Gek

marcin_najs
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi.

Do you have sybase env. variables properly set?

Can you post output of:

echo $SYBASE

echo $PATH

File should be located in $SYBASE/DBISQL/bin

so your $PATH variable should contain this location.

You can use SYABSE.sh script located in your Sybase main directory to set this variables.

(for example ' source /my-sybase/dir/SYBASE.sh '  or set variables manually in .bash_profile or .cshrc in your home dir.)

Best Regards

--

Marcin

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Cris stated your env is probably not correct.

su - syb<sid>

isql -Usapsa -S<SID> -X

Location of it should be:

/sybase/<SID>/OCS-16_0/bin

Regards,

Johan

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

As this SCN space is specific to ASE for Business Suite applications, I'd recommend you to use isql/isql64 executables or DBA Cockpit SQL Command line when working with ASE in a Business Suite env.

Having said that, the dbisql executable is located under /sybase/<SID>/DBISQL/bin.

Logged with syb<SID> OS user, your Sybase environment variables should be configured properly to allow you to execute the dbisql without sourcing SYBASE.csh (or.sh) previously.

HTH

Cris