Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW-IP: Report (or tool) to display invalid planning positions only

josko_poljak
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there a way to display invalid planning addresses (invalid combinations; related to characteristic combination) only in report, not the planning form?

From time to time, master data are changing and some planning postions (combinations) become invalid.

We need a tool to easily detect planning addresses  which are (become) invalid. End users are not planning on daily bases and are usually not aware of such changes. On the other hand, it is not convenient for planers  to daily run planning forms (which indicate invalid combinations) just to checkt if some position become invalid.

Kind regards, Josko.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Josko,

I expect that you have modeled characteristic relationships to detect invalid combinations?

The question is what you do with records containing invalid combinations. There exist planning function types to delete invalid combinations and repost invalid combinations.

If you just want to detect invalid combinations you can create an input-ready query with the characteristics contained in the relation drilled-down in the rows. Invalid combinations will then not be input-ready and you will get corresponding messages. So just put some relevant key figures and the characteristics of the relevant relation in an aggregation level and create an input-ready query using these objects on top of the aggregation level.

Regards,

Gregor

josko_poljak
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

thanks for your reply. Yes, we have modelled characteristic relationships to detect invalid combinations during planning and do have function/button for deletion of invalid combinations.

However, trouble is that master data, which are basis for aforementioned characteristic relationships, are being changed without any notice to planners (i.e. material has changed the group; we do have a lot of materials, 40.000+). Almost every planner has a few planning transactions (for materials, services, ...) and is responsible for more organizational units/parameter sets (cost center group, cost center, ...). Each of organizational unit/parameter set has tens or even hundreds of planning positions associated with it.

Hence, it is not that easy to run through all these transactions (in planning mode using input-ready query) and parameter sets on regular basis. It might happen that master data are being changed more frequently than planning (transactional) data. We are using IP Web interface.

As far as I understood, your suggestion is to make a planning form (input-ready query) which would be used just for control.

Unfortunately, it seems to me like our pain points will still remain since:

- planner needs to run it manually from time to time (daily?) which is time consuming

- there a lot of parameter sets for each planner, maybe this might be overcame

- for each parameter set planner needs to scroll down through lots of records to visually detect invalid combinations

- there are few different planning transactions (based on different providers and their characteristic relationships).

Ideally, we need (automated) warning mechanism about invalid combinations only which requires no significant effort from planner side. Deletion and reposting of invalid combinations would remain the same.

Kind regards, Josko.

0 Kudos

Hi Josko,

I still not understand what should happen if new invalid posted combinations exist because of master data changes. As I understand, these changes may not come from planners and may even exist between planning phases.

So do you think about a push mechanism, e.g. some batch job checks posted records and sends a mail to a planning if there are invalid records in the data region the planner is responsible for?

Or would it be enough to have a check function that is triggered manually during the next planning round?

In both cases it seems that you need a planning function that does this consistency check. As there exist not standard function for this you may check the implementation of the standard function type 'Deletion of Invalid Combinations' and implement your own exit function that does only the check. This function type is implemented in CL_RSPLFC_DELETE_CR; is should be enough to not delete the checked data, if invalid. I think the code is self-explaining.

Regards,

Gregor

josko_poljak
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

thanks again for you reply, I find your answer very helpful and shall try to answer your questions.

If a new invalid posted combination occur we just want  to alert the planner with message that listed of positions become invalid and manual update is needed: deletion of invalid and posting of substitute valid positions.

Push mechanism would be great, this is what I called ideal solution.

Manual check during the next planning round might be acceptable if push is not possible.

Thanks for advice on customizing standard planning function and reference. As far as I can see this is nice piece of development since we need to think of how (through mail?) and to whom (linking org. units and planners) to send alerts. Also, there is a question if all planning positions should be unlocked when doing batch processing (probably could be tweaked in the same custom planning function).

Kind regards, Josko.