cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on SQL Server

0 Kudos

Hi Good Day.

Can anyone tell me what are the effects of creating other database under SAP server but the said database were not SAP related.

Please see attached for more details.

Thanks & regards,

Jerlie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jerlie,

I can answer this from two different perspectives.

From the technical perspective, you can only define resources like memory and processors, per database instance. That said, if you have more than one database in the same database instance, then you're sharing valuable resources like the memory reserved for the buffer pool, processing, tempdb, etc. And I'm still not talking about sharing same storage etc. I'm not considering it here.

If this is a system with production role, you probably won't like to have your systems competing between them to use the resources. It would be more feasible for example, to use multiple instances (named instances) where you would have only one database per instance. You would get exclusive buffer pool and tempdb, and you still might get performance issues if you have not much processors (logical), but not worse than having more than one database in the same instance.

The better (and ideal) scenario, would have only your SAP database running in your SQL Server. This is described in the SAP installation guides.

Now, speaking from the licensing perspective, it all depends where you've acquired your SQL Server licensing. If you've acquired it from SAP, then you have a runtime license. That means that you can only host your SAP database with this SQL Server installation. Creating a database for other purpose than running your licensed SAP system, would be a complete violation of the runtime license.

Well, if you have acquired the license directly from Microsoft or a re-seller, then your license is probably FULL, which means that you're not bound with the runtime license and you may create other databases in this installation other than the SAP database.

In the following document , it is also pointed the changes of the licensing terms of SQL Server for customers that have acquired SQL Server from SAP, as well, an update to the download restriction to SQL Server from Service Marketplace only to customers that have acquired SQL Server from SAP.

I hope it clarifies your doubt.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jerlie

Answers (0)