cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy configuration to other system?

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all! I searched all over and found no other posts/info on this, so I hope I am not starting up something that has been covered plenty before.

We are in the unusual position of having a LOT of custom FPM form configurations that now must be copied/duplicated to another system. Our "dev" system was actually set up as a secondary "repair" system while the original "dev" system has been upgraded. Therefore, a. the systems are not on same EhP now b. there is no way to transport from one to the other.

Soooo it is possible in any way to copy FPM configurations from one system to another? It would be great if on the "XML Display" tab we could simply "cut" from one and "paste" into the other and save that but it seems that isn't possible. So is there any hope or are we in for a lot of manual duplication of form layouts (ugggg!) ?

Thanks for the help in advance....even if it is bad news....I'm a big boy...I can take it. hahaha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, it is generally possible to transport between different releases -- just not usually recommended. In newer Basis releases there is a check that prevents the import by default, but the transport administrator can check a flag during import to bypass that check. This is all config and/or custom stuff, right? That usually isn't so much of a problem. It's mods to standard objects that are the real danger (and definitely not recommended).

I always tell my folks "we can't do (normally) it" so as to push them to more rigorous standards during support pack or upgrade projects, but there are always emergencies, and it can definitely be done.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope. Not possible. Somehow the way "they" (read as IT services group) did this they do not allow or can't make it work. They cut us over to this "temp" DEV system while upgrading the master DEV system to EhP7 about 3 months ago....but they just now remembered to say "Oh, we thought you were doing dual maintenance in both systems....". Ugggg So now, a LOT of copy-n-paste is going on and running RSSYSCOMP, SE39 (code compare), etc. I was just hoping there was an easier way for form configurations than having to hand/manually lay them out again....and don't get me started on workflows also. haha

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, from a Basis perspective, I will say that performing dual maintenance in this scenario is preferable, as there are always infrastructure considerations in differing releases or sp levels that may not be accounted for in transports. However, getting busy developers in a fast-paced project to stay current on the dual maintenance is a project management logistical nightmare.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

....and telling them 3 months after the fact what your intention was is kinda "tough" too. haha

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Communication is key!