Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career in Functinal Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have 3.5yrs of experience in Steel MNC, post that I pursued masters. After that I joined consulting company 2 months before and being trained on SAP MM/WM. I would like to know how is the future for functional consultant next 10 years down the line. My apprehensions are like would SAP and the modules sustain for next 10 years down the line.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

As you know,there are no guarantees in life...but most probably SAP will stay for another 10 years and MM will be there too, as it is a core module.

Even if companies use SAP MM (i.e. there is market demand), your employment and growth (monetary, non-financial) will depend upon the value you can offer your customer and your luck. Understand the main deliverables of a functional SAP consultant and improve your skill set. One thing that I have concluded is that it is not a get-quick-scheme but a long road to decent money and fulfillment (job satisfaction).

TW

added: business process knowledge and understanding is key for a functional consultant, these documents will help

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - added in blue

5 REPLIES 5

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

SAP is a software, within 10 years, lot of new upgrades will come.

SAP journey is always on the upper side from 4.6c to 6... MM / SD / PM / PP now advanced CRM / SRM etc and it goes. Also on the other side, we have Industry Specific Modules.

You need to focus on learning, if you want to survive.

Regards

Terence

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh!

Adding that Maria said, it is important that NEVER leave to study. Here you will have the SCN VERY content daily.

Ahhh, adding more... Thank you for participating in the SCN, I ask you to also check out the links below to better use and approach here .

The SCN Rules of Engagement

How to close a discussion and why

Warm regards,

Raphael Pacheco.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

As you know,there are no guarantees in life...but most probably SAP will stay for another 10 years and MM will be there too, as it is a core module.

Even if companies use SAP MM (i.e. there is market demand), your employment and growth (monetary, non-financial) will depend upon the value you can offer your customer and your luck. Understand the main deliverables of a functional SAP consultant and improve your skill set. One thing that I have concluded is that it is not a get-quick-scheme but a long road to decent money and fulfillment (job satisfaction).

TW

added: business process knowledge and understanding is key for a functional consultant, these documents will help

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - added in blue

0 Kudos

Thank you all for your inputs

narnei
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Saurabh Karmarkar,

Welcome to the world of SAP!! Nice to hear that you got placed as a fresher in SAP and that too MM/ WM, Initially its little tough to get placed in SAP.

As mentioned by experts there is no guarantee for anything , But  Based on current trend Definitely SAP might have a better future based on SAP's innovations/journey towards new solutions as per consumer expectations ...etc

Then SAP MM is core module which is having very good scope based on your previous experience its a very good choice also,  at the same time keep in mind that huge number of resources are in MM, obviously one need to think to make their own image in this module.

Try to utilize the opportunity to gain good knowledge and explore on new scenarios/concepts and sub modules related to MM and integration's related to MM /Also try to get basic knowledge in ABAP to understand it(Bcas most of the times functional's need to work with ABAPER's on new developments),  latest developments in MM, Mobile Apps ..etc and keep upgrading yourself in the world of SAP.

Wish you all the best.

Best Regards,

Rao