cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.1 Promotion management and Business View not promoted

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use sp5 on a 4.1 platform for Crystal Server -

I am using the Promotion Management tool for the first time.  I migrated a large amount of Crystal Reports, which worked great.  However the Crystal reports that use List of Values created in the Business View Manager did not work.  Looking at the Repository in the Destination Server, all the list of values were promoted, along with the business elements.  However the Business view or the Data Foundation was not promoted.  All the dependencies were checked in the promotion manager. 

That makes all my reports with dynamic parameters based on a LOV, useless.

is this a bug ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, The administrators manual references NOT to enable security when trying to migrate Repository objects.

Also, the Promotion Job indicates all objects were successful.  but they are not.  Here is a summary of what happened:

Crystal Reports: migrated ok

All Business Elements: migrated ok

All Lists of Values: migrated ok

Dynamic Cascading Prompts: migrated ok

Business Views: Did not migrate

Data Foundations:  Did not migrate

Connections (from Business View Manager): Did not migrate

The lists of values objects did migrate, but since the business view object did not, the LOV's are useless. 

All generic Dynamic Cascading prompts (these were not based on repository LOV's) work great!

I think this promotion tool is broken....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

This is by design behavior for list of values, you have to promote them using Security in Promotion management.

Also there is a workaround using BVM in source you can export all the objects to excel and import in destination BVM.

That should work,

Regards,

Rajshree

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recreated the entire promotion job and enabled Security for Objects, this time.

The result was still the same.  The Business View object, and the Data Foundation did not migrate with the rest of the items.  The same behavior was found.

I then tried your suggestion about using the Import/Export in the BVM.  That suggestion worked ok.  I can now see the Business View and Data Foundation objects in the Repository in the Destination server.  This is good.

But when I tested the Reports in my destination server, the reports that use LOV's from BVM have no  values.  In the source server, all my LOV's from BVM are working great.

So even the import/export tool in BVM is not giving me all the results.  What is going wrong ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

You can try to schedule the LOV in BVM in destination.

Launch Business View Manager (BVM)

From View menu, check 'Repository Explorer'

From the 'Repository Explorer' window, open the 'Dynamic Cascading Prompts' folder

Locate the LOV that is used within the report 

Right-click on the LOV

Select 'Schedule List of Values'

Choose the cascading field

Press OK

Regards,

Rajshree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

In Promotion Management, please ensure that security is promoted along with the object and its

dependencies.

Did you see LOV's in Business view manager in destination?

You can try to schedule the LOV's as well in BVM.

Regards,

Rajshree