cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC6.0 Upgrade to EhP5 or EhP6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We need to upgrade our ECC6.0 to either EhP5 or EhP6. It's required for an add-on vistex. I have few questions:

1. Our ECC production is 5TB. Why do we need a full system copy on sandbox. Can we use TDMS to bring configuration and master data and do our first test upgrade? How can we make sure our timelines for production unless we have a full system copy? I believe we'll be refreshing our QA with full copy of production. If we do not get approval to go for full copy of prod on QA what are the consequences?

2. Since EhP5 is old shouldn't we go for EhP6?

Regards,

SJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ

2. Since EhP5 is old shouldn't we go for EhP6?

1. You can upgrade the system from ECC 6 with NW 7.00 to ECC6 EHP6 With NW 7.3.(Not on EHP5)

1. Our ECC production is 5TB. Why do we need a full system copy on sandbox. Can we use TDMS to bring configuration and master data and do our first test upgrade? How can we make sure our timelines for production unless we have a full system copy? I believe we'll be refreshing our QA with full copy of production. If we do not get approval to go for full copy of prod on QA what are the consequences?

2.  If your are creating the Sandbox system from Production you can calculate over all timing(Down time and upgrade process time since you db size 5 TB),

what are the issues which you are going to face during the live landscape systems(DEV, QAS & PRD).

Post upgrade issues and testing on other SAP modules

3.  Before that Kindly refer the SAP upgrade guide from below link. based on your OS / DB & SAP version

SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

We can caluculate timings during our QA upgrade since that's a full copy of production. What's the reason we always recommend to go for a full copy and why can't we use TDMS to bring data and then do the upgrade. I need to prepare planning slides with pros and cons and that's why put up this question. 

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

As there is no indication as to what the underlying database is, I cannot be specific here. If you read the EHP installation / update guide it clearly says the filesystems requirements for the SUM tool and also a separate filesystem for all the patches and kernel to be kept. For an Oracle database there will be a new tablespace created so you need to have space in the sapdata filesystems. I would say approximately 120 GB should be enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

AIX with oracle DB.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You will need to make sure that you have enough space in the sapdata filesystems to create a tablespace called PSAPSR3731 for the upgrade. I believe the space would be in the range of 80 GB to 120 GB. Additionally, you also need to have a filesystem for the SUM and also for all the installation packages (SP's, Kernel etc). Something in the range of 100 GB to 150 GB. This would be temporary. Also, after the EHP update you will be dropping the old tablespace which I believe is PSAPSR3702 so you will get some free space in the sapdata as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SJ,

TDMS should be considered when you have multiple landscape and it is centric to Quality,Dev and sandbox systems.

For specific data if you have existing TDMS setup..then u could try or you will be loosing time configuring TDMS and Creating shells for specific data migration.

5TB data..that pretty big one...untill unless you have better hardware such as good size of RAM and CPUs with multiple cores dynamic assignment options, you would need lot of time for each system upgrade.

The SUM tool in order to avoid downtime creates a shadow system updates it first. then it switches to original system.

You can opt for building a sandbox with backup and restore method from a backup of dev initially.

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

We have TDMS setup and we have built our sandboxes using TDMS. I wanted to know is it sufficient for a system upgrade or we ned a full backup restore. 5TB is too much and shadow instance will require more space. The only system which is a full copy of production is our QA. Let me know.

Regards,

SJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to know how much space shadow instance is going to need for a 5TB system? We'll be using downtime minimized strategy.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ

I am not sure, you have to refer the SAP Upgrade guide based on your OS / DB. as already refer the sap link in by earlier message. If possible first perform in the Test / Sandbox system.

Regards

SS

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

The shadow instance should take almost the same size of your primary instance  . It doesnt matter how much  Big your Database is  . ie if your primary /usr/sap/<SID/<DVebmgs<Instance Number> is 10 GB , allocate the same space for the shadow instance .

If You are concerned about the shadow schema , this would be automatically calculated by SUM during prerequisite check  . and should be the same across your landscape ( ie DEV, PRD,QAS )

Thanks ,

Manu