cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File System data source

jeff_putnam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi experts, I've seen several articles about how easy it is to create a data source based on the local file system, but they're all about CR 11 and previous.  Was File System Data removed as an option under Database Expert->Create New Connection in CR 12?  Is there a workaround?  Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Still there... you may have to change the install by running the installer again in Programs and Features and enabling File System, may not be selected by default:

You may need to update CR 2008 also. Go here for the incremental updates:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

No full builds from this site, you have to download and update each one... Just do the Service Packs, Fix packs are included in the SP.

Don

jeff_putnam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Don, I was very hopeful but didn't have much luck.  First I tried installing more options as you suggested.   Here are the options when I selected Modify on the 2008 SP3 I had installed.

Sadly, no File System option.  So then I installed each service pack, one at a time, until I got to the latest SP7.  Again, no File System option (see picture in my response to Abhilash).  On SP7, I again tried to modify the installation but this time I only had a Repair option.  I started but did not complete the Repair option because it was adamant about having an MSI file and I only had an EXE for the SP7 install.

I'm thinking I need to create something under ODBC data source administrator but I've tried going through the wizards and am getting lost.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps, 'CR for Business One' doesn't support File System Data.

You should a lot more data sources under 'Data Access'.

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

Ah, you are using Business One. It is an OEM Build of Standard CR so they have limited it to just those data sources.

Sorry, nothing you can do except get a full version of CR and run it standalone. B1 will not have the driver for the file system so you will not be able to use your report on the B1 System.

The name of the dll that CR uses for the file system is: crdb_filesystem.dll

If that file does not exist on your PC you cannot report off it.

Another problem, there is no 64 bit version of this driver, it does not exist in any 64 bit versions and according to the PAM it is not supported in 64 bit runtime.

So only way you are going to be able to make and run reports is to do it using the Full version of CR Designer. B1 Servers use the 64 bit runtime to process reports only.

Don

jeff_putnam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Don.  Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least an explanation.  I'm going to have to get creative to determine whether a file exists from my version of CR.  Or get the full-blown version and recreate 200+ reports.  Thanks to everyone for their responses to my problem.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Birdeen,

I use CR 2011 and I see it grouped under 'More Data Sources'.

-Abhilash

jeff_putnam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help Abhilash, unfortunately I don't have any options under More Data Sources.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Follow Don's advice. You would need to 'Repair' the installation and select 'File System Data' under the available data sources.

-Abhilash

jeff_putnam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash, I did try that (see below).  After I got to SP7 I started but didn't complete the Repair because it was only looking for an MSI file and I only had an EXE file for the SP7 install.  If you think Repair (remember there was no Modify option at this point) might add File System, I'll try to dig up the correct MSI file.  Thank you.