cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrystalReportViewer and Crystal Reports XI Release 2 -> vshost32.exe doesn't work anymore

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have Crystal Reports XI Release 2 installed for showing and designing Crystal Reports. Now in our VB.NET Winforms application (.NET Framework 4.0) we open a form with a listview containg all the *rpt files in a certain directory. When we doubleclick one of the listitems we show a new form. While loading this new form a CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.CrystalReportViewer is initialized as follows: 

myCrystalReportViewer = New CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.CrystalReportViewer      

myCrystalReportViewer.ActiveViewIndex = -1

... more settings ...        

Me.Controls.Add(myCrystalReportViewer)      

myCrystalReportViewer.ReportSource = RapportPad

The directory with the *rpt.files is a shared directory where a certain windows usergroup has full control. All clients using our applicatins are a member of this Windows usergroup. Now when one of our customers tries to open a report (as described above) from their client machine they get the error 'vshost32.exe werkt niet meer' (eng: 'vshost32.exe doesn't work anymore'). But when our customer opens the application on the server, it works fine. Another customer seemingly having the same infrastructure ,has no problems with their clients. When I try this on my local machine while debugging in Visual Studio I get the same error, even while the reports direcory is on my own local drive. But the error doesn't occur after initializing the CrystalReportViewer, but later after the last vb code line ('end sub') of the double click event (in the referrer form). What could be wrong? Maybe missing or wrong version of Crystal Reports dll's? Don't hesitate to answer. I'm willing to give any extra information needed.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version of VS .NET?

What is the Server OS?

Browser?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

On my local machine (where the same error occurs):

- Visual Studio Premium 2013 Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4

- Windows 8.1 PRO 64 bits

- Internet Explorer 11 (But the error occurs in a winforms application)

- Crystal Reports XI Release 2

In the configuration manager in VS2013 we build the projects of the .NET Solution for the x86 platform (32 bits), while my local machine is a x64 platform. But when I build my project for x64 platform, run the application and try to open the report, I get an error about 'Crystal reports runtime not correctly installed'.

0 Kudos

WOW, none of what you are using is supported, XI R2 in VS 2013, Windows 8.1 and IE 11. All were released well after the last supported platform update for XI R2.

XI R2 is a 32 bit application ONLY, only option is to run your app and IIS in 32 bit mode.

Highly recommend you update to CR for VS and convert your application to use CR for VS which you can download from here:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

First link is the installer into VS 2010 or above and all others are Redist packages only, DO NOT install them on your DEV PC.

So back to the original issue. Make sure you are running in 32 bit mode only, locally and IIS.

Run DebugDiag to capture the crash, it's likely in a dependency CR needs is either missing or using ProcessMonitor see if you get Access Denied Errors in the logs or missing dll's

Good luck

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don and Ludek,

Thanks for your answers so far! We're thinking of upgrading to CR for VS.

One more question:

We also have an MVC application (web interface), and in the future we want to show our legacy CR reports in this MVC application, so users can view the reports over the internet.

Have read a little bit about RAS, and about CR server. Not many users will use the reports at the same time. What software do I need to install to view the reports over the web and is there some instruction available?

Best regards,

Martijn

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the MVC app uses the Report Designer Component (craxdrt.dll), then you cannot do any updates to is as this SDK was retired in CR XI R2 (v. 11.5.x). E.g.; your options are:

1) Leave the MVC app a is

2) Show the legacy rpts in a new app that uses the CR SDK for .NET

Problem with (1) is that CR XI R2 may not support your server OS. See the following wiki for supportes OS:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/b4JiAw

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question was not clear. We now have a MVC application without anything from Crystal Reports (So also not a Report Designer Component).

But, in the future, we want to use, let's say, Crystal Reports 2013 with RAS or Crystal Reports Server in this MVC application. And then we want to show our old CR reports in that MVC application.

What software and what actions should we take?

Regards,

Martijn

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are only two CR SDKs;

.NET

Java

Which of those SDKs you want to / can use in MVC is up to you.

- Ludek

Answers (0)