cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print Report Definition for 100 Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I created like 100 CR X1 reports that pull data from our system that uses Advantage Database but now out system will be upgrade to SQl database
So I need to change all my reports to read the new database and tables. I know how to save the report definition one by one.

My question is there any other form to print/save the report definiton  massively way.

Thanks

Jose C

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I am susing CR 2011 14.0.10.1493 RTM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good news - if you have VS 2010 / 2012 / 2013 (support of 2015 coming within a few weeks).

In any case, the runtime is free for win apps and you can download it from here:

On your dev computer, use the install exe. This will setup CR to work in VS. (MSI, MSM, ClickOnce are only for distribution).

So, now you will need some resources to get you going. The developer Help Files are always a good idea:

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

The following doc is a gem and despite the title, it applies to all versions of VS:

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 Walkthroughs

there are also sample apps available for download from here:

Crystal Reports for .NET SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

You will want to start with vbnet_win_simplepreviewreport.zip and vbnet_win_dbengine.zip.

My recommendation would be to start simple. E.g.; a report with no subreports or parameters. The start increasing the complexity. Use the search box in the top right corner if you need more info. And keep asking questions if need be - but do create new discussions per issue as you hit on em.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

For only 100 reports it would take you far less time to manually update the reports than write an application to do the same.

The problem is in an App you have to add a lot of error handling because the SDK will not allow you to map fields manually. It auto-maps the fields and if the SDK cannot resolve the field types it simply deletes the field which of course breaks your report. So now you have to manually "fix" the report anyways.

So I suggest rather than spending a few weeks writing an app and debugging it, it would be a lot quicker to simply update the reports in CR Designer and then use the Verify Database function and preview the reports to validate they are returning correct data.

Don't for get to update the subreport connections also....

Don

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jose

There is, but you'd have to use one of the CR SDKs and build and app that will do this for you. There may also be 3rd party utilities that will do the trick (for example you may want to google Hammady and crystal).

If you prefer to build your own app, let me know what CR SDK you'd like to use and I will set you up with resources to get you started.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks is this CR SDK free to download or I have to buy it .

The  other Hammady and crystal i could not  find it in Google.

Thanks

Jose

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is free, kinda... maybe... depends...

We'll have to talk a bit about versions of CR here;

You mention you have CR XI. This does not tell me if you are using Crystal Reports 2011 (v. 14.0.x), or Crystal Reports XI (v. 11.0) or Crystal Reports XI R2 (v. 11.5). Each of those have it's own ramifications. Also the development tool you will use has it's own ramifications. So until I know the version of CR and the development tool (including version), I can't give you more details (well I could but all that would be good for is night time reading when you can't fall asleep )

- Ludek