Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolMan on HANA Sizing

former_member185604
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Currently we are on SolMan 7.1 SP 4 ( I know its too low )  DB Size 130 Gb.

We are planning to Upgrade (or a Fresh Install) to SolMan 7.2 next year. As of today, we don't use any other scenario apart from Technical Monitoring and CCLM.

We are contemplating going to SAP SolMan 7.2 on HANA. So, as a homework to figure out approximate sizing requirements, I decided to use the SolMan Sizing Toolkit in SMP. See attached picture Sizing1.

Now, I know the tool is for SolMan 7.1 including 7.1 on HANA. But, I decided to see how the figures look like.

I did run my data through the tool and the Sizing Recommendations looked good.

But, as soon as I selected "SolMan on HANA" in the configuration, the figures spiked up along with a Note: See Sizing 2 and 3 Pictures

"With SolMan on HANA, 512 GB of RAM for the Database Server are required" ->This statement cant be true! We have completed sizing of Suite for  Hana for much less than 512 Gb.

Does anyone have any clue? Is there a way I can try to find out how much memory is required for SolMan on Hana?

Thanks,

Bidwan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

daniel_lippmann5
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We need to calculate a SolMan 7.2 on HANA, but I'm missing the option Solution Manager in quicksizer tool - any advice?

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel

If you would calculate non HANA and the database is uncompressed, you probably could divide by 2 to get the memory needed on the HANA server (divide by 4 because of compression of data but you need 2 times the data footprint available in memory so in the end it would be division by 2). Just theory though, I haven't got real numbers at my disposal.

If you've got a SolMan 7.1 running, that's what I would use (above) to roughly calculate what will be needed without further information being available.

Best regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Is there news of a SAP Solution Manager 7.2 on HANA sizing toolkit yet?

Best Regards,

Clyde

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

You can download the sizing toolkit for SAP Solution Manager 7.1 here:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Home

It contains a switch "running on HANA" so you can check what the requirement would be if you would be running on SAP HANA.

However, in Solution Manager 7.2 a lot changes so I wouldn't just carbon copy this sizing exercise over to SAP Solution Manager 7.2 as there might be some differences.

I'll check if I can get some information on SolMan 7.2 on HANA sizing wise.

Kind regards

Tom

former_member185604
Participant
0 Kudos

That is correct, Tom.

That is what my question is. The tool behaves nicely as long as I select the option - "SolMan on HANA=No".

As soon as I selected "SolMan on HANA=Yes" (see Sizing 2.JPG), the Results spiked up along with message "With SolMan on HANA, 512 GB of RAM for the Database Server are required" - See Sizing3.JPG.

This is what is confusing me. This is impossible.

I know the tool is for SolMan 7.1 on HANA and I am trying to get some idea for 7.2 on HANA for budgeting/ planning purposes but results are totally misleading.

Thanks!

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

512 GB RAM on a SAP HANA database means you've got 256 GB left more or less in terms of data ~ so you can store around up to around 1 TB of non compressed data on that SAP Solution Manager instance.

That sizing then covers many customers sizing needs ~ only customers who use SAP Solution Manager extensively would need a bigger SAP HANA instance in that case. Definitely for a fresh install, this sizing would suffice as well.

Well, 7.2 wise, I think it's better to check with SAP who is running SP0 on HEC for a number of customers. I can check for you if you want, not sure if they will allow any information to be released publicly just yet.

Best regards

Tom

former_member185604
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Tom,

But even from a SolMan 7.1 perspective, 256Gb is way too high.

So, for a SolMan with scenarios like Technical Monitoring and CCLM only (we don't use anything else) - dont you think 256 Gb is way too high. It sounds strange.

We recently completed our Suite on HANA sizing and it is close to 256 Gb. Based on our Suite for HANA sizing, I was expecting SolMan 7.2 on HANA sizing to be somewhere near 50 Gb or so.

Thanks!

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

We're talking about the size the system will reach when in use by customers, over time.

Just an example, one of the SolMan's that I currently manage is 1.2 TB size wise.

Don't forget SAP HANA stored data in-memory so you need to be able to store that complete size of the data in-memory. In case of 1.2 TB instance, it will probably be factor four in terms of size reduction so that would be around 306 GB for a SAP HANA database for a SolMan 7.1 with a database that is currently 1.2 TB in size.

Kr

Tom

former_member185604
Participant
0 Kudos

Right Tom. I understand that. Thats what I am concerned about.

So, approximately my current DB Size is 130 Gb. If I move to say 7.2 on HANA it should be equivalent to say approx 30 Gb.

Considering future growth don't you think even 3 times 90 Gb RAM (for data) should be way more than enough?

I am surprised with the tool automatically putting forward the message "With SolMan on HANA, 512 GB of RAM for the Database Server are required"  as soon as "Solman on Hana" is selected. It is not considering my Landscape specific inputs.

So what do you think is a good number for us to guess if we contemplate moving to SolMan 7.2 on HANA?

Thanks!

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bidwan

I don't want to make any assumptions that could turn out to be wrong.

Like I said, there is lots of change coming with SolMan 7.2. That includes additional / other products of SAP that are embedded inside SolMan, new applications (Fiori based), lots and lots of new features and functions, you name it.

By the end of the year there should be a RDS image available for deployment on Amazon AWS so once that is out, I can check the size of an "empty" SAP Solution Manager 7.2.

In the meantime I can check with SAP.

Best regards

Tom