cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scheduling a super chain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a way to scheduled a Superchain with 21 other chains steps built inside of that Superchain and be able to schedule that Superchain to have all chains inside, start all at the same, but run in their local time zones? Example- 5 of those jobs inside this Superchain to start at 12pm on EUR time zone and have another 8 jobs start at 12pm on NAA time zone and so on, for the different regions these jobs need to run on. Would that be possible to setup or would I have to be schedule them independently? Thanks.

Rick.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gmblom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can put all 21 chains in the first step of the super chain, this will make sure they are kicked off at the same time.

So schedule them in the correct time zone use the StartTime field in the Step Call to the local chain to specify the required start time and time zone.

Note that now the scheduling of all chains have become dependent on each other, the super chain will only finish and reschedule itself for the next occurrence when ALL of the 21 local chains are finished. You can make the super chain NOT wait by specifying the 'do not wait' flag on the Step Call.

Regards Gerben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gerben. Just to clarify, So I can set each job that will be placed in the super chain, in the first step and that will trigger them all to start at 12pm?. And after that, I can set each different job, to the different time zone they would need to run under?  And this would be done in the job definition tab, in the box labeled Time Zone per screenshot below. Sorry, I am not sure what Step Call means or is currently. Thanks for any reply.

Rick

gmblom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rick,

No that option only applies to the time window selected there.

If you add all your local chains in the first step (underneath each other) of your Superchain we would call each local chain a 'Step Call'.

Now if you are in your Superchain editor and you select one of your local chains, this will show you the Step Call properties: Preconditions, Parameters, Scheduling Parameters, etc. In the Scheduling Parameters section there is a property called Start Time. This one you can fill with an expression, something like =Time.expression(Time.now('Europe/Amsterdam'), 'truncate day'). This will set the start time to midnight Amsterdam time. For each local chain you can provide a different Time Zone.

Regards Gerben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Gerben for that nice break down on it. It really helped. We will give this a try.

And again, thanks for the great replies.

Rick.

Answers (0)