cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCo log levels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Please help me to understand various log level(Information, verbose etc) of Pco console. Also help to understand their importance and their  pros and cons.

Is there any way by which logs can be sent to desired location at some interval and after sending can that logs be deleted from console. Kindly help me to understand by answering my queries with your expertise.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204155
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

verbose means it will log everything that happens. If you select this then your log size will be larger than others.

And other modes viz, Error , Critical e.t.c .. are self explanatory (only logs those specific category of events).

Regards,

Kuntal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204155
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In MII transaction you can use webservice action to get access all operations that PCoManagement wsdl offers , there is an operation named

"GetAgentInstancePagingLog"

you can get the log for any specific agent instance for desired duration and desired number rows. and

desired log level .

• Critical=1
  • Error=2
  • Warning=4
  • Information=8
  • Verbose=16

Then you can achieve sending of this data to desired destination using the transaction.

But I think, as you mentioned to delete the agent log?!

that might not be possible dynamically through MII transaction.

Regards,

Kuntal

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In PCo 15.0 and later, the logs are stored in the Microsoft Event Log structure, and as such can be configured for a max size as well as being self-purging after a certain size.  You can find the name of the Event Log at the bottom of the Agent Instance Logs Tab page, and then use the Microsoft Event Viewer applet to access the log properties and adjust as required.

Best practices for setting log levels for Production is at Warning.  Lower levels such as Verbose and Information are used for troubleshooting and/or validation during design and testing.

Regards, Steve

former_member204155
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve ,

for sharing another experience with us.

you are always very informative and inspirational for learning.

Regards,

Kuntal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve for helping with your expertise .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kuntal for the response. I am able to get logs by using "GetAgentInstancePagingLog".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve, I am using PCo 2.3 with MII 14.0. I tried checking in Event viewer under Administrative Events but it seems that only critical type of error logged in Pco logs are stored there. Could you please help to locate the folder/path where these PCo logs are stored and how can I access them.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Kumar,

PCo logs for version 2.3 and lower are stored in a Microsoft SQLServerCE database file named log.sdf. There is a log.sdf file in the folder for each Agent Instance.  While it is technically possible to access these log tables using SQLServer Enterprise Manager, I would caution against accessing the logs directly while the agent instance is executing. Kuntal's recommendation to use the GetAgentInstancePagingLog web service is the recommended remote access method.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. At present we need to delete the logs at regular basis, so just wanted to know how can we automate or schedule the logs deletion process, at present we are deleting logs manually. By using web services methods as shared by Kuntal i can store the logs but just wanted to know is there any way we can schedule or automate the deletion of logs in Pco 2.3..

Thanks in advance for your help and expert advise

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Kumar,

With 2.3 and earlier, the log file deletion is a manual process.  We recommend that you set the Log Level for each Agent Instance to Warning, so as to limit the number of log messages.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve for the inputs.

But setting log levels to warning will not capture all the errors, so if there is any error on source server side or any network connection error between source or destination then how to check that. At present we are referring PCo logs. Is it so that even if we keep log level as warning and later on we can view other logs level also like verbose or information ?

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar.

Setting PCo Log Levels to Warning will capture all Warning AND Error messages.

I would not recommend Verbose in a production setting; this should only be done when trying to diagnose an issue or when requested by SAP Support.

Information may be acceptable, but make sure that you have examined the Windows Event Log Settings for each Agent Instance to make sure that you have the log settings for record size, rollover, and date duration that are appropriate for your requirements.

Regards, Steve