cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to move to EHSM from EHS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone help me on, why should customer move to EHSM - CE from EHS? It will be great to support with roadmap for CE.

I aware that SAP will fix only bugs for EHS in future and the new initiatives will be done in EHSM.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghvendran,

Much has been already explained by CB, Balajee and Mary has already explained very nicely for all new functionalities with EHSM in her blog. I won't go into the functionalities of EHSM or about the many enriching user experiences like guided workflows, adobe interactive forms, or for that matter many new reporting features etc.

I understand from where you are coming as I have found myself in your shoes occasionally while dealing with customers as consulting partner. After having invested in and stabilized a system, if customer is advised that now you need/ought to migrate to a new system, the obvious question is 'What's the need?'. More so, when you explain that EHSM is still evolving and you would still have to live with classic EH&S partially for time-being (particularly, customers having matured Product Stewardship solutions).

On this, I would like to put a very generic, yet simple analogy of transitioning from CRT TVs to modern Smart LED TVs (I might not make complete sense with this analogy, but still let me try). In an age of Digital transformations at Enterprises, SAP is now more than ever aware of the platforms on which it should be providing the solutions; which should be futuristic, flexible, and scalable all at the same time. Classic EH&S solutions in itself mostly served as 'system of records' having robust integration with other modules thereby fulfilling for business process efficiency at most. Now the times are changing, you need to have almost real-time KPI visibility (HANA), IT solutions should be able to 'predict' (Predictive Analytics), 'consumerization of IT' is here, mobility is key (Fiori), web-access is the need now, need for native integration with cloud solutions (Success factors etc). Tomorrow's EHSM solutions might also have IoT (Internet of Things) and Big data strategies as well to stay ahead in the competition. To achieve all this, you can't continue to operate in old way, on old platform.

SAP Netweaver Composition Environment (CE) is that platform which enables building and running applications based on Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) principles. Please refer below CE introduction to understand why it is the futuristic platform for EHSM solution build.

Introduction - SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment Library - SAP Library

Also read, below document to understand what's new on this platform.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20d1fefa-ebf6-2c10-3eba-d12473683...

PS: SAP experts and other experienced Consultants/Analysts are here on this forum. Please correct me if I have gone wrong somewhere in my analogy or point of view.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pavan for your detailed information.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Pavan

very good write up and explanation.

C.B:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks C.B!

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Crystal clear elaboration in simple words as well as using apt technical terminology. Great !!

Regards,

Amol Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amol!

akash_agrawal5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Fully agree with your analogy. Excellent write up.

Although, in SAP Classic EH&S, especially in the Product Safety Area, aren't most of the customers still heavily using CRT TVs (MSDS/SDS report generation, Labels, WWI, Substance Volume Tracking, DG). I am sure there is going to be a solid transformation of this area to LED TVs -> 4K Ultra HDs in the near future.

Thanks,

Akash

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks Bala & C.B for your valuable inputs,

C.B, further adding to your point Component Extension has to be get more focused and positioned well in market in near future. Otherwise the customer will get confused on the solution's. If you take Mr.Bala's example how we can arrive the license BOM?, as the customer is fit for both CE and Classic.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ragavendran

if you ask SAP customers regarding your statement:

"I aware that SAP will fix only bugs for EHS in future and the new initiatives will be done in EHSM."

most of them would be very unhappey if this is really the SAP strategy. I would assume if a legal change (like REACh) would happen in the future and the change is/must be realized in EHS Classic SAP will do so (and this was the fact in last three years  (e.g. data exchange by using XML because of legsal needs)

But generally your statement is correct.

Recently I found an additional OSS note. Sometimess in EHS classic SAP seems to act quite "user" friendly and optimize some of the deliverred solutions even if there is no legal need to do so.

Since the acquistion of TechniData by SAP a rearrangement of solutions etc. was done by SAP. One result is the last version of "Component Extension fo SAP EHS Management). Currenlty the "reengineering" of this solution and the "clean up" of the old solution space is still not final. Therefore we can expect in the next years further new versions for what is called EHSM. If you check history. With i Believe SAP entereprise Extension 2.0 EHS classic is part of SAP ERP and not to be insalled as an "add on". This takes (I am not sure) something like 5 to 10 years. So we can hope that if the "Component Extensions" solution is "stablized" that this solution will not be delivered as "Add on" anymore.. But let us wait what will happen. As long as the new solution provides useful functionality it is not really of interest if the solution is an "add on" or not.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raghav

EHSM is just add on component for EHS CE , but for sure not replacement for Classic version EHS.

Few people safety modules in Classic version like IH & OH has been designed in user friendly (portal based & mobile apps) for easy recording , handling & corrective action of incidents and in addition to these Environmental compliance & Product compliance module which were designed comprehensively for discrete industries for which for easy handling of regulations.

Coming to Classic version of EHS which was part of SAP ERP , Product safety modules like product safety (Report management & shipping) , dangerous goods management ,substance volume tracking & Global Label management which were  currently using by all Top chemical & process industries with their own organisation specific customizations globally.

We must understood client business process and based on that we have to do solution mapping for current business process . For Example If client was chemical manufacturer , in this case EHS Classic version must be map in which Product safety ,SVT ,DG & GLM must be useful , in addition to client was having focus on People safety then we can map EHSM in which IM&RA can map for their process.

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your input, the post is very informative. But the post is more about on functionality changes, not able to get the business reasons and benefits on migration.