cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDM - How to create derive objects for data vault modelling

0 Kudos

Hello,

we are doing a lot of data vault modelling and if you are familiar with this technique you know, that there are some technical columns, which have to be always available. Is it possible to derive from a standard table and add some default columns?

kind regards

Bernd

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bernd,

Interesting question! DV can be implemented with BODS, allowing you to define reference columns in  an AUDIT reference Table. This can be derved and used as LKP for the DV Constellation of Hub, Link and Satellite tables.

I am currently working on this as well. I offer a template for DataVault modeling for ETL loading.

sincerely,

robert ten bosch

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could create a transformation that will add those columns to any tables that don't have them, in a similar way to the custom check suggested by Marc.

The advantage of the transformation is the ability to run the transformation whenever you generate a PDM or (here's the interesting bit) generate or update a database. That means you don't have to have all those extra columns in your PDM to make sure they get added to the database. For a large database, that might be hundreds of columns.

Transformations can be run at any time if you want to, not just when generating stuff.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you structure the scripts carefully, you could use the same functions for custom checks and transformations, giving you both options.

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernd,

You can do it different ways

1. Add a custom check model that will verify the presence of the desired column and add it if not exists (via autofix).

2. Use higher level of modelisation (with CDM or LDM) that have the inheritance concept embedded. You then (re-)generate your PDM from it.

3. Use an event handler on table initialize that will populate new table with default column on creation

And probably many other ways that have not came to my mind instantly.

Regards,

Marc