cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

killing long running report viewer

Former Member
0 Kudos

my c# application runs the report viewer which has been placed on a winform. the problem we are having is sometimes a report is badly formed or uses a table scan and the report viewer just spins and spins while it is running. Is there any way to set up a time out so that the viewer will time out after a certain amount of time. Or is there any way to kill the report viewer?

Bill

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Moved to .NET SDK forum.

Need more info like versions of CR would be a good start?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All i need is the ability to set up a time out value or a way to kill the report viewer while the busy indicator is running. after the viewer has the data and is displayed i can close the viewer. its just while it is grabbing the data and formulating the report that it takes control from my application. As i said if the report is poorly written or it uses a table scan to grab the data the report could run for a very long time before the viewer is displayed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry crystal reports 13. crystal reports for visual studio.

0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Yes that is a problem with this version, once the report starts running there is no way for you to stop the processing. It either has to time out or by using Try/Catch blocks to capture errors is about the only way to handle it.

If you use threading ( Apartment model ) you can kill the thread is the only other way.

I've asked DEV to put this ability back in they say they can't due to changes they made and cannot undo them.

Don