Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp_to (RCPT Command error)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

My first question in this forum guys:

I want to send email notification via Data Services Job using smtp_to function.

I have configured the Job Server< Misc. option. but when I run the Job I receive below error:

Failed to communicate with SMTP server on <RCPT> command. No recipients were valid or did not resolve to any address. No Message was sent. Please try to run it manually to see the actual invalid recipients.

smtp_to function formula is : mtp_to('myname@company.com','Testing jobs','Test message',4,5);

The recipient email is correct. I tried to troubleshoot by executing smtp_Mailer.exe ,according to some blogs, but it does NOT run.

Can anybody spare some time to guide me.

Note:

I have full rights on the server.

BO DS 4.1 SP1 on windows server 2012.

Regards,

Nouman.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you ping the smtp server from the DS server?

Can you telnet the smtp server on the port you've specified from the DS server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply Dirk and sorry for the late reply.

I did a test on Ping "myserver.com" from my DataServices Machine and it is responding.

Just tested the telnet command. but I cannot send test email via telnet.

to test smtp server i used below blog:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123686%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

I think for me, there is some basic understanding issue.

I am using my company email address, which is configured on outlook. should I do some more settings somewhere?

I have a test gmail account, can I use it to send mails?

Thanks in advance.

Nouman

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

telnet is not used to send a mail, but to verify the port the SMTP server is using. If you can ping it, but not telnet its port 25, that means it is not using the default port.

You'll have to find out which is the actual port and specify it in the DS server settings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I am using port 25 as my outgoing server port in outlook and I connected to smtp server by using command in telnet. "open webmail.server.com 25 " and it connected.

mail from:command is OK

mail to: command gives error like : 503 5.5.1 Error: nested MAIL command

""You'll have to find out which is the actual port and specify it in the DS server settings.""

Where must I specify the port in DS Server settings? There is no Port option in DS Server Manager> Misc tab.

Regards,

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Put the port number together with the server name:

I am afraid that you're not referring to the right server, webmail and smtp are not synonyms. Can you check with your email admin for the right information?

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you check with the Admin team if port 25 is open or blocked. It ,might be some security settings which is not allowing the SMTP_TO function to work

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I am using the smtp server name (used in outlook account settings).

I describe the steps, what I have done.

1. in DS Server Manager> Miscellaneous Tab, I entered the "Server" and "Sender" (Info from my outlook account Settings).

2. Save and restart. The same info I am using in CMC "Adoptive job server"( but with the password)

3. and that was it.

Are there any other settings I have to do?

From where does the DS Server manager get the mail password to login?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

port 25 is open.

Same credentials were used in CMC Adaptive job server settings. and publications for webi

reports are running fine.

From where the Data services get the login password of email.?

Thanks