Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to verify the Backup in sybase

pradeep_kapoor2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

I have configured the backup with help of  note 1588316 and which is scheduled in DBA cockpit

Backups are generating daily successfully.

Now I wants to verify that backup which is happening  is correct and  can be restore when needed.

1> sp_config_dump @config_name='SIDDB',

2> @stripe_dir = 'S:/sybase/backupSID' ,

3> @compression = '101' ,

4> @verify = 'header'

5> go

Name convection of  dump is  without dmp extension  ex -(SID.DB.20151004.070009.000)

please guide me how to verify   the backup  and do  I need to change any thing in the script

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

victoria_normand
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,
You may run this on an isql command :

load database <SID> from "<stripe_device>" with verify=header

go

This won't load the database, it will just display the header information of a dump. The dump header indicates:

• Type of dump (database or transaction log)
  • Database ID
  • File name
  • Date the dump was made
  • Character set
  • Sort order
  • Page count
  • Next object ID

Regards,

Victoria.

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To be really sure of a backup, though, the best thing to do is to actually load it and run dbcc checks.  (Typically the database is loaded on some other ASE server used for development or testing).  If disk space is an issue, ASE's "archive database" feature can be used.  This command mounts the dump file itself so very little new disk space is needed, though dbcc commands will run much slower.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

pradeep_kapoor2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your value inputs  .

I have   installed the  test  server   with backup  and which is running fine.

0 Kudos

Pradeep,

You could also use:

load database <SID> from "<stripe_device>" with verifyonly

This too does not load the database but displays detailed information about the database and the dump files. Towards the end, it shows the following information:

Backup Server: 4.188.1.1: Database verifyDumps: 12288964 kilobytes (100%) VERIFIED.

Backup Server: 4.190.1.1: Database verifyDumps: Verification reported 0 errors.

Backup Server: 3.42.1.1: LOAD is complete (database verifyDumps).

Just for testing, I distorted one of the dump files (#2) using the 'dd' and then ran the above command. It duly complained as follows:

Backup Server: 4.188.1.1: Database verifyDumps: 12288964 kilobytes (100%) VERIFIED.

Backup Server: 4.190.1.1: Database verifyDumps: Verification reported 0 errors.

Backup Server: 4.141.2.27: [109] The 'api_read' call failed for database/archive device while working on stripe device 'compress::3::/mydir/2.anil.cmp3::001' with error number 0 (Error 0). Refer to your operating system documentation for further details.

Backup Server: 4.9.2.3: Label validation error: read returned -1 reading label. Read:nHDR1OD_RBSG1527500E34

Backup Server: 6.32.2.2: compress::3::/mydir/2.anil.cmp3::001: volume not valid or not requested (server: , session id: 116.)

Backup Server: 1.14.2.3: Unrecoverable I/O or volume error.  This DUMP or LOAD session must exit.

Backup Server: 4.124.2.1: Archive API error for device='compress::3::/mydir/2.anil.cmp3::001': Vendor application name=Compress API, Library version=1, API routine=syb_close(), Message=syb_close: gzclose() error=-5 msg=Unknown Error

Backup Server: 6.32.2.3: compress::3::/mydir/2.anil.cmp3::001: volume not valid or not requested (server: , session id: 116.)

Backup Server: 1.14.2.4: Unrecoverable I/O or volume error.  This DUMP or LOAD session must exit.

Msg 8009, Level 16, State 1

Server 'TEST_ASE', Line 1

Error encountered by Backup Server.  Please refer to Backup Server messages for details.

HTH,

Anil