cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSAN_ODS_DATA_DELETE Extremely slow

alex_wiebe
Participant
0 Kudos

We have a process that loads a number of records into a DSO. It takes well under 15 minutes (lots of calculations). If we need to re-run the process, the process chain performs a selective delete of the previous run. The delete alone takes 12-14 _hours_! CPU, Memory and disk i/o are all very quiet.

How do I trace what it is doing and get it to perform better?

SM50 and detail screen shots attached.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

alex_wiebe
Participant
0 Kudos

Quick overview: The process chain first performs a selective delete, then runs a program to insert the records. Both steps are effectively keyed by FISCPER. This makes the job idempotent. Especially if it takes only a few minutes to run.

This week in production, the first run of the period took < 10 minutes, the second took 14 hours.

In our test environment, I setup the first run and it took < 10 minutes. I ran it again and it took 14 hours.

Figured I had a reproducible problem and made the original post above.

This morning, the business ran the job again in production and it took < 10 minutes! (No index, etc changes made).

Our test system was restarted today, and once back I was able to run the job 3 times in a row - back-to-back-to-back and all runtimes were < 10 minutes.

I am not sure a secondary index is the solution here. I will poke at this periodically to see if I can reproduce it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you checked the system log via tcode SM21 selecting the date when it took long time. If any DB error it should show there.

Thanks,

-J

alex_wiebe
Participant
0 Kudos

In DB02 we are noticing warnings around missing statistics for the offending table. We are currently attempting to reproduce.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is the selection screen variant for the selective deletion program uses the key of the DSO.

If not you can try with creating secondary index on those selection fields.

Thanks

-J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can activate SQL trace (ST05) during selective deletion

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Have a look to the DB monitor (DB02), I guess you will see a SQL request running (DELETE ?). Check the where clause and see if if an index could help.

Regards,

Frederic