Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a SAP SD person also know some SAP Basis?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Should a SAP SD person also know some SAP Basis?

Thanks & Regards

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samiran

A little Basis knowledge never hurts but I'd not consider it a prerequisite for SD.

Regards

Arden

0 Kudos

Thanks Arden. By "little" do you imply that it is good to have a book in my shelf like this book on Basis "SAP Basis Administration Handbook, NetWeaver Edition" By author Ranjit Mereddy  [http://www.amazon.com/SAP-Basis-Administration-Handbook-NetWeaver/dp/0071663487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...]

Or is it a waste of money & time reading such books since I am studying SAP(S&D)??

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos

Save your money till after you're working in an SD Role

shaik_sajid
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Samiran,

Knowledge is Divine.....

As Arden said, Basis is not a pre-requisite.

First become an Expert in SD. While working on a Project you will come to know little of basis stuff and that would be enough.

But if you are really interested then you can learn more modules like Basis, ABAP & CRM.

Nothing would go for waste, on some day some time it would be useful....

Regards

Shaik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samiran,

For SD related authorizations for standard transaction codes as well as customized transaction codes viz., VA01, VF01, VL01N, etc., BASIS comes into picture and it is always better to know how this works.

Also, in case of any run time errors in standard transaction codes, SD resource knowing the functionality of T code ST22 will be helpful.

As Arden and Sajid said, it is good to have a basic knowledge of any module though not as a prerequisite.

Regards,

Venkatesh

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Samiran,

At what stage are you in SAP SD? If you are already an experienced SD analyst, you might invest time to learn some non-SD topics.

Nobody is hiring you for other modules knowledge! Concentrate on SD and invest all your time in getting better in SD. There are some processes which require MM knowledge for example third party sale, learning the MM side is more beneficial than learning BASIS.

TW

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

In my opinion every SAP consultant should know little bit BASIS. If you face any authorization issue or requirement related to authorization control, you should at least be able to convey this requirement or issue to your BASIS consultant. You should know use of SU24 and SU53 etc. How to find authorization object for some Tcode or control parameter etc.

Don't go in more technical details. Only couple of hours investment in BASIS learning is enough.

Don't pay for any book for learning BASIS.

Thank$

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

focus on learning your module, however, it's always good to learn the system

I wouldn't suggest mastering basis, however learn about:

• transports vs direct updates (learn this in the context of your module - when would you transport a change vs when would you request the client to opened to make the change directly)
  • configuration change concepts
  • different types of tables and table sizes/archiving
  • client dependent vs independent
  • difference between environments, systems and clients
  • performance and system monitoring - short dumps, etc
  • I hate putting this in Basis, but security concepts

understand why the system works a certain way can help improve your understanding in a functional module.

I'm not from a functional background so the above topics may already be part of your functional training

Regards

Colleen