cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI DB Refresh vs System Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have planned upgrades and to achieve it we are first refreshing the upgrade landscape with the production system landscape data. For PI systems does performing a DB refresh (DB2) a good idea ? I believe performing system copy would be safest thing. Could someone please let us know the pros and cons of DB refresh and Systm copy.

Any PI specific steps that has to be taken care in either of these methods?

Thanks in Advance !!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I couldn't find much information on PI system refresh. Procedure should be same though but you need to check if it is supported by SAP.

You can check the following link that should get you started on PI system copy:

System Copy - Administering Process Integration (PI) - SAP Library

1299373 - Configuration Wizard: PI System Copy

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Basis G,

Please find the appropriate system copy guide matching your PI version

SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

There are  lots of post  restore tasks involved  .

Thanks,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually we need to perform the system copy onto a target system(XYZ) which is already existing. So before I delete the XYZ instance for system copy do I need to backup anything ? (like in SAP ECC we take screen shots of LOGON Groups, Licenses, SSL, User master etc..,)

Do we have any doc as such specific to PI 7.31 ? Kindly assist.

Regards,

Srikanth G

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srikanth

Actually we need to perform the system copy onto a target system(XYZ) which is already existing. So before I delete the XYZ instance for system copy do I need to backup anything ?

Before deleting the existing system, better take the full system backup. and also you can refer the SAP KBA along with PDF

1605672 - How to stop all communication channels in a copied PI system

Do we have any doc as such specific to PI 7.31 ? Kindly assist.

You have refer the SAP System copy for PI system. refer the SAP KBA 1605672 along with PDF.

Regards

SS

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you need to perform all these tasks + RFC

( Assuming the XYZ  system  is in the  same transport landscape  as the source system )

, Plus additionally you have PI post restore activities which is detailed in the link provided earlier

Thanks ,

Manu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Thanks for the reply.. Apart from usual pre-refresh steps we do for ECC do we have any additional steps(screenshots/backup) to be taken care specific to PI that has to be retained after copy - adapters, mappings, SLD data, configuration..etc ?

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No i believe  from a basis perspective .

Incase you want you can save the config tool parameters ( UME , Memory etc ) , SLDAPICUST, RZ70, SPROXY, SXMB_ADMIN ( Integration Engine configuration ), SMQR,SMQS.

From a PI consulant perspective maybe they might need to take screen shot's if they have deviated from any standards

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

I heard of another option to replicate the data:

a. Install and fresh PI system as per the standard procedure

b. Export the configuration/customized data from the source system    that has to be moved to the target in the form of TPZ.

c. Import the TPZ file into the target system.

How reliable is this ?

Whats are the steps to be done to generate the TPZ file and import in target?

Do we have any doc for this procedure ?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  ,

This  process is also fine .

f you re-import all the transports  [ Assuming all the PI developments ABAP + JAVA were moved  through transports only using  CTS + ]  or you can export/import using the filesystems (in tpz ) ( the Java part only ) . The system made like this will be lesser in size  [ Assuming Archiving was not extremely used in the source system ]

PI is an integration system , hence  no necessity to copy from production to  Quality .

Which process you need to choose depends on "Why you want to refresh the PI system "

If its just for readiness before the actual upgrade  [ Ie to get the most recent data ]   you should use the first method . Otherwise  the refresh itself is not worth  [ Unless your aim is to find the actual upgrade timings ] because as explained earlier PI is an integration system  [ Ie it is used for exchange of messages ] .

If your aim is to check the upgrade timings  then only the first method will be helpful . [ Because in the second method you will only be able to replicate the system customization  but not the data ]

Thanks ,

Manu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Please help..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could someone please help me out.. if PI DB refresh can be done or system copy is the correct approach to replicate the data. Would also like to understand the reasons for the recommended approach.

Thanks !!