cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAKISA OrgModeler Multi Tenancy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I am writing you this message to ask you about the  NAKISA multi tenancy.

First of all this is my NAKISA system information:

- sap erp system version: ECC6.0 Ehp7

- sap basis version: 704 - SP-Level 0007

- sap net weaver version: 7.4

- NAKISA version: 4.3 SP2

- NAKISA add-on version: 430_740_RF

- database version: DB2 10.5

- NAKISA OrgModeler build number: 0930012402

my questions question are:

• is it applicable for OrgModeler nakisa application?
  • i have update the following XML file but the Multi Tenancy setting still not appear in NAKISA admin console:

......./Nakisa/OrgModeler/servlet_jsp/OrgModeler/root/.system/application/XML/TenantsConfiguration.xml

......./Nakisa/OrgModeler/servlet_jsp/OrgModeler/root/XML/TenantsConfiguration.xml

and the changes is as follow:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<nakisa>

<tenants enabled="true" username="admin"/>

</nakisa>

Did I miss some configuration?

please guide me to solve this issue

Thank you very much

Regards,

Bobbi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobbi.

Multi-tenancy is viable for OrgModeler (ref. in section 16.1 of the OrgModeler admin guide (VSN 4.3)), but I think it is still not certified for customer use - ref. Nakisa Tenants Configuration.

If you want details on how configure multi-tenancy then you would probably need to contact Nakisa directly to advise on this.  If you do go down this route it would be great to get some of the information shared with SCN members

In your post there's no context to your particular requirements, but I'd perhaps spend a bit of time considering if it really is a multi-tenancy set-up that you need.  Are you going to be hosting OrgModeler services for lots of different clients or is it some other deployment scenario that is entirely dependent on the economies of scale offered by a multi-tenancy set-up over the relative simplicity of the implementation of multiple instances.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for replying.

Yup, I just need the multi-tenancy configuration to separate the OrgModeler staging database for...let say user group 1, user group 2, and so on.

Now let me announce the good news first.

This is the step to enable the tenant configuration in your admin console:

1. after updating xml file on

......./Nakisa/OrgModeler/servlet_jsp/OrgModeler/root/.system/application/XML/TenantsConfiguration.xml

......./Nakisa/OrgModeler/servlet_jsp/OrgModeler/root/XML/TenantsConfiguration.xml

you must the take out the !-- statement --! in

/usr/sap/NHD/J00/j2ee/cluster/apps/Nakisa/OrgModeler/servlet_jsp/OrgModeler/root/.system/Admin_Config/ManagerResources.xml

the statement are:

BEFORE:

<!--item tenant="000">

<url>TenantsConfiguration</url>

<caption>[Lang Admin_TenantsConfiguration]</caption>

</item--!>

<!--item tenant="000">

<url>ManageAdminUsers</url>

<caption>[Lang Admin_ManageUsers]</caption>

</item--!>

<!--item tenant="000">

<url>AssignTenants</url>

<caption>Assign Tenants</caption>

</item--!>

AFTER:

<item tenant="000">

<url>TenantsConfiguration</url>

<caption>[Lang Admin_TenantsConfiguration]</caption>

</item>

<item tenant="000">

<url>ManageAdminUsers</url>

<caption>[Lang Admin_ManageUsers]</caption>

</item>

<item tenant="000">

<url>AssignTenants</url>

<caption>Assign Tenants</caption>

</item>

after doing this tenant configuration menu should be appear in your admin console (reset your NAKISA server if needed). please see the following screenshot for clearer understanding.

before continuing, the above screen shot is showing the root tenant which has Tenant ID = 000. you must publish this configuration in order to make your admin console (manager.jsp) and default page (default.jsp) look like below screen shot.

default page screen shot:

admin page screen shot:

you can perform configuration for each tenant by enter the tenant ID in admin console and publish it based on your tenant ID. don't forget to enter your tenant ID on default page to access the published page based on your tenant ID.

however, (the bad news start now) when I log on to my tenant 001, I can't find the scenario menu in the OrgModeler page .

regarding to this issue, I already raise an OSS message, let's hope Nakisa want to help me to solve this issue, instead offering their consulting service (I bet you got the same response while contacting NAKISA )

btw if you have facing the same problem? please help me solving this issue.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Bobbi

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobbi.

Anything between "<!--" and "-->" in XML is treated as a comment.  So if you had those in place there was effectively no configuration being applied for that content.

What happens if you configure for the source org chart, database, etc?  It could well be that the scenario button doesn't appear until you have the data being visualised to be modelled.

Is there anything useful appearing in the cds.log?

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately, there's no useful things appear in cds.log .

as for my error (cannot view the scenario menu in other tenant), it is because I haven't configure the role mapping for each user who log on to tenant published build and sorry for skipping this configuration and get panicked.

however, I found another weird things during the testing. It seems I can't separate IDOC setting for each tenant, e.g.: tenant 000 is mapped to development client no 800 but displaying organization structure which org unit root id 1000 and tenant 001 is mapped to same client but displaying organization structure which org unit root id 2000, each tenant cannot view each other data, because each IDOC is uploading data into different staging database, and each tenant is mapped to different staging database.

when i start the idoc in tenant 001 the idoc setting in tenant 001 is replaced with idoc setting in tenant 000. I already raise this issue to OSS, let's hope NAKISA is come back with solution.

please kindly advice me, if you ever have experienced the same problem.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Bobbi

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobbi.

Looking in the Deployment guide it notes that "There must only be one iDoc listener running on the NetWeaver server".  That certainly does seem to call into question how you could run this as multi-tenant if you can't have multiple iDoc instances but you do presumably have multiple band-end ECC systems.

I've never had a need to deploy multi-tenancy for VSN.  It has always been practical to use multiple NetWeaver instances.  I think I'd have recommended this direction to the client for just multiple user groups.  As I mentioned, previous discussions on this forum suggested that the multi-tenancy functionality probably isn't yet for public release as there is no documentation for it in the manuals and guides.  Nakisa have previously stated that multi-tenancy is intended for organisations offering a VSN service to multiple clients rather than for a single client ... but I'm sure that the size and complexity of some clients could warrant a multi-tenancy approach.

Regards,

Stephen.

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobbi.

How did you get on with this?

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

We are currently still using the multi tenant feature and 1 staging database.

Here is the detail on our work around to handle the multiple organization structure in the NAKISA OrgModeler.

Detailed step:

Put some naming convention in our org unit and position to differentiate between one and another org unit and position object for each organization structure. Fortunately in our back end system our client already put the naming convention for org unit object (naming convention is put on abbreviation (HRP1000-SHORT) field). Thus, we can use this naming convention on org unit listing so user can only search the org unit in the organization structure which they in charge.

However, there is no naming convention in our position object, therefore I need to create a new view in the Org Modeler staging database and update the position listing data element (IT1000PositionSearchDataElement & IT1000PositionSelectorDataElement) to use the new view instead directly read the data from HRP1000 table in staging database.

Creating new view in staging database is also needed to restricted the employee listing, because currently the employee listing data element is pointed to PA0002_VIEW and in that view, there are no field we can use to filter the employee listing, I guess you might need to add company code or personnel area, etc field to help you filter the employee listing.

This configuration is needed only for source organization structure and some data element which related to which object you can select during scenario creation (e.g.: IT1000OrgUnitSelectorDataElement is used during scenario creation based on existing organization unit object).

That is all I have done so far, feel free to share if you have any advice regarding to this matter.

Thank you very much

Regard,

Bobbi