cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue logging in to Data Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've got an issue that is stumping me right now. It doesn't happen all the time, only when I really need to get into DSMC (an ETL job failed at 5:30 AM and I am trying to get in to restart it... ugh) I am able to bring up the login page (http://servername:8080/DataServices), but when i put in my credentials and click login it just spins forever.

Somethings I have tried.....

Opening up the URL on another server (http://server2:8080/DataServices).. same thing

Remote Desktop to Job Server and launch Designer from there... same thing

Try a different browser.. same thing

Try a different PC... same thing

Some things I have checked...

Job Server logs.... everything is normal, no errors

Windows event logs... nothing

Database (repository and warehouse) ... nothing

Checked logs on BI server (we use BI server for authentication) ... couldn't find anything

Then after a bit (maybe an hour or so), the strangest thing. It just WORKS! I'm sorry I've got no clue here. My only idea at this point is that maybe the other ETL that is running has some type of lock on the repository and it causing the login to hang. Or maybe something on the BI server and the authentication isnt passing through correctly... I don't know.

Anyone have any advice?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked if you have any job execution error log? If so, maybe the server is busy while is writing the job error log.

Check this: Target table properties --> options --> Error handling --> Use overflow file YES.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nothing in the error log. The only file that seems to grow fairly large (750 MB) is the job monitor file. Other than that everything is reasonable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you say

It doesn't happen all the time, only when I really need to get into DSMC (an ETL job failed at 5:30 AM and I am trying to get in to restart it.

is that a factual statement, that the only times you cannot get in are when the ETL job fails, or more of a "Murphy's Law" that often times when you need it most you can not get in?

If the former, then I would be highly suspect that there is some correlation/causation between the ETL failure and being unable to log in.

Are you able to get in via another method to restart the job during these times (local client, RDP to server [if Windows], etc.)? Any other general information you can provide about your landscape (web servers, app servers, db servers, job servers, OS-s, etc.) could help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Should have been a bit more clear there. It's more of a Murphy's Law. I have the majority of our ETL running from 12:00 - 8:00 AM. There are a few jobs that run throughout the day but nothing as intense. I wake up at 5:30 AM and check the status of the jobs. If I notice a failure, I will log in and restart the process in hopes that it will complete before 8:00 AM when the majority of the scheduled reports are distributed.

I am not able to get in via ANY other method to restart the jobs. I guess it might be possible if I figure out how to run them from the command line, but not through any GUI.

We have 2 servers. Our BI server is a VM, runs the BI platform and has the web apps deployed on it, it also has the BI repository running in SQL Express. Our DS server is physical with the data for the DW mounted on the SAN. It runs the DS Job Server and SQL that holds all of the DS Repositories and DW databases. It also has all the web apps deployed on it.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I sincerely hope you get extra pay for having to wake up every day at 5:30.

But seriously, it cannot be due to ETL jobs running, because the login process accesses the CMS database BI repository) only. Have you checked for locking issues in the SQL Express database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Salary.... But I wake up that time every day.. kids and everything.

I checked it again today (and the issue happened two days in a row), and I can log into CMS just fine. So its not the authentication that is the issue. I'm leaning towards it being an I/O issue on the DS server, but still doing some research.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have access to more than one repository? Then try the following.

Start DS Designer. Do you get the list of repositories? That confirms CMS is just fine, indeed. And you'll have to have a closer look at locking issues on the DS/SQL server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not get the list of repositories. It just spins on the login. If I go to http://servername:8080/BOE/CMC I can log in just fine.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you get to the list of repositories in the CMC?