cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed in creating models for MVC 5 application with sybase ASE as database

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are moving from web forms to MVC5 and the database is Sybase ASE 15. Currently I have ADO.Net sybase driver calling SP's in Datalayer.

How should I populate my model in new MVC 5 project.

1. Entity Framework? I dont see a sybase driver in EF 6 when i tried sample.Does Sybase support EF? (primarily I want to call SPs)
  2. Should I continue with exiting ADO.Net Datalayer (Is it the good approach in this scenario?)
  3. Do I have any other options?

Please educate me...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dawn_kim
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

We currently do not support EF6. I know we support 4.5 with the last drop of the SDK 16.x. Engineering is currently working on EF 5 support.

MVC5 came with Studio 2013. We are certified with Studio 2012 with the last drop of the SDK 16.x.
So the newer features of Studio 2013 haven't been tested as of yet.

You can still use ado.net layer. I would say go with Studio 2012 and EF 4.5 to build your project.

With our driver to use the capabilities I would say instead of using SqlConnection you use AseConnection>

Here is a list of specific API reference for connecting to ASE with our ADO.NET driver:

Sybase Books:

href="http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?pic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc20066.1570/html/adonet/Adod..."

Thanks,
Dawn

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ram,

It has been quite long time I haven't been working on connectivity stuffs  but in case it can help, regarding question 1) we have this in SDK documentation Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ:

=====================

The Adaptive Server ADO.NET Data Provider supports the Visual Studio Language-Integrated Query (LINQ), the expanded Entity Data Model (EDM) canonical functions defined in Entity Framework 4.0, and the Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework including its LINQ-to-SQL component.

=====================

I think you already know this space: SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Developer Center , folks there will be probably more able to help you with questions 2) and 3) .

HTH

Regards,

Cris