cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Variant, basic data 2 vs MRP 3

0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a great explanation of what I am looking for.  I just have a couple of items for clarification.  You mention both the basic data 2 tab and MRP 3 tab for linking to the configurable product.  I am not sure when to use one vs the other.  Would you ever use both?  Also, on the sales order entry, rather than starting with the configurable product and then checking for the material variant, you can just directly put the material variant on the order, right?   I have a configurable product which serves to essentially bundle a group of finished products together in one catalog product.   Building on your example of the BIKE, I have a BIKE-KIT, which includes different helmet options, jersey options, and shoe options in addition to the bike itself.  I want to make a material variant of this configuration, using the customers material number,  that is setup as a make to order.  We have the bike, helmets, jerseys, and shoes stocked so when we receive the order for the material variant,  we just have to pull each component from stock and ship it.  Is following your example using the MRP3 tab for configuring the variant a best practice for this scenario? 

Thanks,

Joseph

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joseph Whiteley,

You mention both the basic data 2 tab and MRP 3 tab for linking to the configurable product.  I am not sure when to use one vs the other.  Would you ever use both?

For this my answer is variant setup using basic data 2 tab is at client level & the one using MRP is plant sepcific. Most of the time the second options is being used as even though material used is same with change in plant some characterstic of variant may also changes

Also, on the sales order entry, rather than starting with the configurable product and then checking for the material variant, you can just directly put the material variant on the order, right?

Its same as creating sales order for a non-configurable material, if you or customer know what they want , create sales order directly for the one.

I want to make a material variant of this configuration, using the customers material number,  that is setup as a make to order.  We have the bike, helmets, jerseys, and shoes stocked so when we receive the order for the material variant,  we just have to pull each component from stock and ship it.  Is following your example using the MRP3 tab for configuring the variant a best practice for this scenario?

This one is not cleaer , please put some more effort and frame it using example material number, BOM items, classes and characterstic so it will help me answering it. One thing i guess here is you are trying to make material variant as combination of its parent configurable material , plus some additional components. I dont think you can put configurable material in the BOM of a non-configurable material and expect it to explode while creating sales order.

Hope this explanation may help you.

Thanks

Ritesh