cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment V/S Functional Location

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP PM Guru,

i m little bit confused about the two technical object 1) equipment 2) Functional Location.  how i decide that this is functional location or a Equipment.

does SAP Give Any recmentation For this

Regards,

Payal Gupta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
  • Yes, SAP has given a very detailed definitions for both. Please go through help documents through Google.
  • One practical convention people follow is all Movable Equipments are created as Equipments (Motors, Pumps, Gea-boxes etc)
  • All immovable installations are created as Functional Locations (Furnaces, Rolling Stands, Washing chambers, Huge motors etc).

I'm replying in hurry. Bottom line is you need to collect the practical aspects of using these two sap objects., Theoretical part you need not know from the forum, Tons of material will be available in SAP help.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MTerence
Active Contributor

Hi Payal,

It will be good for your future if you go through SAP documents. Refer below links for sample.

Functional Locations (CS-BD/PM-EQM-FL) - Plant Maintenance (PM) - SAP Library

Equipment (CS-BD/PM-EQM-FL) - Plant Maintenance (PM) - SAP Library

Finally, its upto you to decide, how you want to map your requirement in SAP, since i have seen certain clients dont use the equipment, as they use only functional location.

First try to read, what SAP tells about these terms and see how you want to relate to your requirement.

Regards

Terence

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Payal,

In older versions of SAP the distinction between FLoc and Equip was very clear. Flocs were the structured elements of your plant and were not normally maintained or moved. The Equipment was typically the physical thing you were maintaining.

But over successive releases, SAP have made the FLoc function very similar to the Equipment. They are now so similar that it quite often confuses people.

However, there are some things that a FLoc cannot do, but an Equipment can:

• Time segments
  • Configuration (to include configurable task lists and BOMs)
  • ISU equipment tab
  • PRT equipment tab
  • Fleet equipment tab
  • ETM equipment tab
  • Serial number equipment tab
  • Internal numbering
  • Internal note
  • Technical ID field
  • Customer/vendor screen data

There are probably a few others too.. Please contribute...

I had one client who started off with everything being a FLoc, but slowly they had to create equipment due to some of the reasons listed above. The users got very, very confused.

PeteA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

thanku For Reply. But i need same more clarification .

regards,

Payal Gupta

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please ask your clarifications Payal.