cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select perticular variant of PC in TR not whole PC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

There is one meta chain in PROD system which is comprised by some sub chain. But now as per one change request, I need to add 9 new Info Packages beneath of sub chains in that meta chain. So I have created new 9 IPs into DEV system and transported to Quality system so IPs are there in Q system. Now my concern is how to deal with PC. I have appended these 9 new IPs to that process chain in DEV. Now I want to Maigret this PC into Quality system , How many possible ways do I have? and whats the best among them?

1. Should I transport whole metachain? but with this option there could be a chance someone has changed some variant in DEV system for which I'm not aware and that will also collect,right?

2. Should I transport only newly added IP variants in that metachain?  Is it possible?

Any kind of advise would be lot more helpful. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jinal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jinal,

I addition to Raman's advice, please check carefully if the Meta Chain and all included objects are equal to Production. Because one way or the other, you will have to transport the Meta Chain if you cannot add those 9 new InfoPackages to an existing Process Chain (i.e. one of the existing Sub Chains).

Pay also attention to the Start Process of the Meta Chain in Production. You will have to write down how the scheduling looks like, to be able to restore the scheduling after the transport to Production. To be safe, you can change the Start Process of the Meta Chain in Development to "start by meta chain" in order to prevent that it will start to run at import of the transport request in Production.

Change the Start Process in Production after the import of the transport request took place and you checked that it arrived in a consistent state.

Last but not least, please consider to create a new Process Chain (i.e. Sub Chain) where you add the 9 new InfoPackages. Then you can add the Process Chain to the Meta Chain. I consider it as a best practice to always work with a few layers, i.e. Process Chains with the InfoPackages, DTPs, etc. and one or more Meta Chains for organization. Scheduling is done using the Meta Chain at the highest level.

Best regards,

Sander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inputs Sander.

Chain flow is like below:

Metachain

|

|

sub chain       sub chain

|                     |

--------------------

|

IP1 IP2 IP3 IP4 IP5 IP6 IP7 IP8 IP9

Just 9 IPs are in new chain structure other than that all present in PROD. So Is it possible to transfer only 9 IPs in next tier not whole meta chain or what is the optimal way to follow according to you? (FYI : I don't know what changes has been done inside sub chain variants in DEV system. I have only created 9 new IPs and added to process chain.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jinal,

Meta chain has to be transported along with the new chain created with 9 info package because new chain linked to meta chain. You don't have to transports old sub chains if no changes are related to this release.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jinal,

You have to transport also the Meta Chain if you include those 9 new InfoObjects. The alternative would be to add the 9 new InfoPackages to the Meta Chain in Production. I would not recommend that.

Therefore I suggested to first check if the Meta Chain in Development and Production look the same. This will be an easy job since only few Process Chains are included.

If they are the same (what I expect), then you can go ahead. I.e. add the InfoPackages and transport the Meta Chain. Please think about my remark re. the Start Process.

Best regards,

Sander

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in process chains there is no such option to transport only newly added process  types.

So we need to retransport whole meta chain.

Noting to worry much, as stated by sander, just compare your meta chain with prod chain.

Except 9IPs , remaining whole chains is same then its easy to handle.

As stated above, re transport whole meta chain to qua/prod.

Lets move to Qua and run it there. that may give idea about transport.

if no errors while transport qua then move to prod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raman.

Thanks for your inputs.

But my each subchain contains like 50 variants which comprised with DTPs,IPs etc. For each variants compare to PROD system its littel bit cumbersome process I guess. Do we have any short cut that I can compare all variants in one go?

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Rather than that way, lets try to compare version management between Dev/Quq/prod.

if its have same version then you can just restransport your meta chain.

Other wise, you better add 9IPs into one new local chain.

Add local chain to your meta chain under two sub chains.

first move your new local chain to target system.

later recollect your meta chain and move it.

when we are no guarantee about variants or changes then start working on transport.

You better to start working on it. if get issues, we can solve it. if keep on thinking about errors, we never do activities.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible that after transporting newly created subchain to quality i'll transport metachain collecting only newly added subchain not all subchains?

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes,

please try below things.

Assumed as your newly create 9IPs moved to  qua/prod.

Lets create one local chain with 9IPS. use starting method as meta chain rather than direct scheduling.

Add local chain to meta chain as you needed.

Move local chain to Qua/prod.

Later just collect meta chain only and move to Qua/prod.

while transporting if you got any issues please share here.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jinal,

When you collect the meta chain in a transport the sub chains won't be collected automatically.

In the above meta chain has Five sub chains, but only meta chain & new sub chain should be activated and collected in the transports. So you don't have worry about the other sub chains.

Transport will have only the chains that are collected manually,so in your case the New sub chain with  9 IP and meta chain.

You can also ensure by checking the process chain and the objects in transport before releasing.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help shakthi.

after addition of this 9 IPs in meta chain I saved it. while saving it asked me TR . I have created TR for that .In that transport it is showing only meta chain, nothing else. what does that mean? it'll transport whole meta chin with sub chains or just meta chain with 9 IPs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jinal,

It means Meta chain with 9 IP's.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan.

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It will transport whole chain along with your newly added 9ips also.

Lets try to activate your process chain and later try to move to qua/prod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raman/shakthi,

Does that mean underlying sub chains of the meta chain which are already there before will not be transported?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your new 9 info packs are transported to Qua. Fine

You can transport your meta chain with all necessary objects.

Try to collect objects this way.

Bw, RSA1-->transport connection

Use grouping option as Only necessary objects.

find your meta chain from middle screen, process chains-->select objects.

move process chain to extreme right screen area.

there expand collected meta chain an select all chains(except variants which you felt as changed by some one) which are part of it.

Check your changed objects stored into custom package or $tmp. all packages need to be saved under custom package.

Thanks.