cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt on Variant table update activity hand over to users.

keyur_mistry1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Classification Team,

We have objective to hand over the variant table update work tothe users.

Almost more 400 tables we have and right now most of the required logic weare achieving through the variant table only.

In this project I am having some doubts, which I want to clear before the process further.

Please team guideme on the same.

• When we hand over the variant table to the users, I want to restrict the user not to disturb my existing data.

He/she should be able to update only new table entry.

Note: Only in special cases with approval, they can edit the old existing data.

• Link database table to variant table can be helpful and improve my table performance?
  • I want to restrict the user not to enter any unknown value for that characteristic.

Ex - If the data type is character so if user want to enter " * " intentionally or unintentionally. I want to restrict that kind of testing.

• As we know our variant table is master data, which is client dependent, so here we are using an ALE process to move master data.
  • Is it reasonable to give ALE rights to the user? If not, then is there any other option we have so we can stop passing wrong master data to the production client.

From the above point any of the point clarification if you have please guide me on the same.

Apart from above listed any new suggestion if any one have, please suggest.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

just a few remarks how this is handled in our SAP Systems:

1) We have more than 3000 variant tables therefore it is no question that they are maintained by our users. We are using authorization groups for variant tables so that a user has only access to some specific tables. I do not know a possibility to restrict the access only for adding new entries. Authorization object C_LOVC_TCN has only value 01 for maintaining and 03 for display.

2) There is a rough rule from SAP for performance concerning variant tables:

Content < 10000 lines * 10 column -> do not link to DB. (see 917987).

3) We define the allowed values in the characteristics.

4) We replicate VC data to four external SAP systems (productive systems). We use PDR/UPS. This enables our users to use ALE without being bothered with some basic transactions. The software can be customized for easy and secure usage.

Answers (0)