Let's see if this time it's true 🙂

Cheers,

Alessandro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At this point I trust both sap.com and oracle.com not more than any US presidential candidate. Campaign tactics are surprisingly similar...

former_member186277
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

The presidential candidate analogy is making me LOL coming off of last night's debate.

You've piqued my interest on the HANA vs.Oracle debate. As part of an Innovation team at SAP, we are always looking for ways to improve and innovate how we go to market. So I am curious, can you provide some insight on how SAP can improve it's campaign tactics for HANA? How can SAP gain more trust from customers? No pressure.

Krysten

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Krysten, these seem like two completely different questions. Do you want to sell HANA or do you want to have happy customers?

Few years ago we were trying to buy a house and employed a real estate agent who was mostly a "seller agent". Naturally, every house we looked at she tried to sell us on. "Yeah, location sucks but look at that crown molding!". Our long search was unsuccessful at the time. But when we started again in another state few years later we signed up an exclusive buyers agent. After the first showing, as we were leaving the house trying to convince ourselves it might be a good option, he just said: "meh, you can do better". It sounded very odd (and clearly not in his financial interests), but he was 100% right.

So what I'm saying is that "selling" and "helping to buy" are two different things. I'm sure there are consultants who can advise more on either strategy (I provide free consulting only on technical matters on SCN ), but SAP would need to decide first what you want to achieve.

As far as "trust" - I don't think customers are actually distrustful of SAP in general. But in any case it is obvious that either SAP or Oracle or presidential candidates have their own interests and are, essentially, trying to sell us on something. And in this situation everyone (either SAP/Oracle customers or US voters) would be foolish to base their decision solely on the information provided by the "sellers".

P.S. Btw, we finally bought a house with the last agent and it's awesome.

P.P.S. Hey, I think I've accidentally discovered a great business idea of 'ERP buyers agent'. Calling dibs on it!

former_member186277
Participant
0 Kudos

I do love your analogies. This realtor example is my fave Happy to hear that you've found an awesome house!

Great insight, thank you for sharing. ERP buyers agent = genius idea!

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would have loved to see John Appleby or Lars Breddman's take on this. But then I saw this,

https://blogs.saphana.com/2015/11/09/sap-hana-must-be-hurting-oracle/ 

My question is, who are these marketing materials targeting. Anyone who cares to read these(both Oracle and SAPs marketing) must already have some idea on how "easy" anything is practically, from experience.

Benedict

former_member182354
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hope soon there will be a patent suite to follow for column store technology and yes things are getting interesting.

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Alessandro.

First of all, I see the future in HANA, too.

And try to be certified as HANATECH.

I liked independency of OS and DB. Leaving this feature and putting HANA in place will be cons for customers. But scale-up, scale-out architectures, cloud  versions, virtualization etc give flexibality to customers. Certified vendors are increasing day by day.

Speed changes according to customers' systems, applications and data.

Price, having SAP or Oracle Apps in legacy systems, maintenance and migration price will determine the winner of the future.

It is certain that SAP will not be the biggest dealer of Oracle in 2020s.

I liked these blogs also.

https://blogs.saphana.com/2015/04/08/oracle-wont-tell-sap-hana-part-2/

https://blogs.saphana.com/2012/04/30/what-oracle-wont-tell-you-about-sap-hana/

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow.. twice as fast and the USB sticks you get for free at Oracle after-work parties have more memory than the largest SAP HANA!!

That is an amazing revelation which Seth communicated to the Oracle marketing team...