cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to simply convert from a file to another file on Visual Enterprise Generator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

May I ask a question about Visual Enterprise Generator?

I have installed Visual Enterprise Generator 8.0 SP3 as a standalone and I could run it through Visual Enterprise Access. The Generator is not integrated with any other system.

Now I have been trying to use Hot Folder. Somehow I could run some workflows through Hot Folder.

But what I want to do is to simply convert from a CAD file to RH/VDS file.

I've been struggling to design a workflow to realize it, but I haven't succeeded.

Does anyone have a workflow and process to realize simple file conversion in standalone mode?

Thanks in advance,

Shinya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shinya,

If you are trying to use the standard Asset and Assembly upload workflows to do the conversion, there is some documentation in VEG application help that explains how to do a manifest file upload using the hotfolders. Please have a look at sections "Manifest File Processing", "Asset Upload Sample DS.manifest file" and "Adding Hot Folders". This approach will store viewables and original files in the VEG database.

Creating a new workflow that is neither Asset or Assembly that opens up a CAD file and saves it to RH using that is triggered using a hotfolder is also doable but the explanation would be a bit more involved. If you are considering this option it is worth mentioning that in the VEG SP04 (currently scheduled to be available from 22nd of November this year) is adding a new workflow that exposes a simplified interface to the conversion process and does not store anything in VEG database. This new workflow can be invoked both through hotfolder and through a REST-full web api. Please let me know if you are interested and I can share some more details.

Kind Regards,

Marko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marko,

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to wait for the new release in Nov.

Best regards,

Shinya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shinya,

Thanks for your patience. VEG SP04 is out and you can find the documentation about our new workflow here:

VEG Generic Conversion Workflow - SAP Visual Enterprise - SCN Wiki

Generic Conversion - API Reference - SAP Visual Enterprise - SCN Wiki

Kind Regards,

Marko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marko,

Thank you for the update. I will look into it later.

Best regards,

Shinya

former_member609303
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Marko,

I have installed Visual enterprise 9.0 and I am trying to convert a CAD file to RH using generic conversion workflow and by creating hot folders. But I am finding it difficult to achieve this. I am getting input validation failed error "Invalid character in given encoding. Line 1, Position 1."

Is it possible for you to share some reference materials (url) on how to convert files using hot folders. An example of end to end conversion mechanism would be really helpful.

Answers (0)