Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2011 & SQL Server - Unable To See Views

Kgriffith2309
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good Day,

So I have a situation where SAP Crystal Reports 2011 is being used with SQL Server (2012 - this is speculated) however, the views can not be seen but the tables are.

Can you tell me what is happening here and a solution to this please?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I am using the SQL Native 11 Client.

Any other ideas??!

I need to be able to use the Set Datasource Location in order to change to a view, but cannot because I cannot see the views!

Thanks!

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you sure that the credentials you're using to log in to the database have access to the views?  What type of a connection are you using - ODBC or OLEDB?

-Dell

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

I have checked with the DBA and he says that I have access to these views. I have verified that by successfully seeing/using the views in SQL Server Management Studio.

I am using an ODBC connection.

I used to be able to see these views within Crystal, but I suddenly stopped being able to see them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Noting that Kandia who started this thread had SAP Crystal Reports 2011, what version of CR are you using? Please go to the Help menu, select About... and let us know the version noted there.

- Ludek

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

11.5.12.1838.  I know it's an old version.

If I knew for sure that upgrading to a new version would fix this problem, then I would do it. I tried to use an 30 day free evaluation of the latest version, but it wouldn't let me install because I already had a older version installed on my computer. (But if I don't know for sure that the new version would fix it, then I can't justify spending the money on it!)

I can't figure out why it used to work fine but doesn't anymore.

Thanks!! All advice is appreciated!

Esther

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting - the eval should have been ok as a side by side install. Can you try one more time - CR 2013 - from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I still am getting a similar error message: "Installation Cannot Proceed. The installer found an older version of SAP Crystal Reports installed." This full-installation package cannot be applied when an older version is installed.Use the maintenance package of SAP Crystal Reports 2013 SP4 to update your current installation."

Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Esther

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Esther,

I'm going to get you to take a couple of steps back.  If you logged into SSMS and Crystal using the same account, you should see the views.  Crystal always defers to the database security. 

That being said, if the list of objects in the database you have access to is huge, we're talking over a couple hundred tables, views, stored procedures, system tables, etc. then Crystal may not return the entire list of objects for you to see. 

When you connect to the database, do a right-click on your connection and in the menu, select Options.  In the Data Explorer, make sure Views is checked but also try adding the name of a view in the Table Name LIKE: box.  Then see if you can see your view.  You can use the % for a wildcard to retrieve similar views. 

I'd be interested if you get anything this way. 

Thanks,

Brian

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

And there they are!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am back in working order again!

So I guess this database is so large that I need to choose either tables or views in order to see everything, but I can't see both at the same time.

THANK YOU very, very much! I was so perplexed by something so simple!!!

Esther

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Esther,

If the tables and views have the same owner, you can filter by Owner as well.  This way you can eliminate the dbo objects. 

Brian

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kandia,

In Crystal if you go into the Options, there is a database tab.  Make sure Views are selected.  You'll have to exit Crystal and restart before you can see the views. 

Good luck,

Brian

estherling
Participant
0 Kudos

Any other ideas? I tried that and it was already checked.

The SQL version used is 2012 SP2 Standard Edition.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Make sure you are using MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11 client.