cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of BO Crystal reports into SAP BO Crystal Reports 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a new requirement with one of our client... it goes like this.

Client has 150 BO crystal reports this are the reports(.rpt files) which are way back before SAP acquire , so it means that this are original and independent BO software reports.

The requirement is now we have to migrate those reports to SAP BO Crystal Reports 4.0 and they are using Oracle as Database.

I am new to crystal reports can anyone please share me the steps to do the same?

Thanks & Regards in Advance

Pradeep Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the reports are in and older version of BusinessObjects already, is it BO XI, XI r2 or XI 3.1?  Or is it Crystal Reports Server XI, XI r2, or XI 3.1?

The answer to this question will determine how you're going to get the reports into the new version of BusinessObjects.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Thanks for your response , the reports are in older version(.rpt files)

crystal reports the old version of Business Objects before SAP acquire it .

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, you didn't quite answer my question, so I'll try to ask it another way....  Are the reports just .rpt files somewhere on disk or have they been published to an earlier version of BusinessObjects or Crystal Reports Server?

If they are just .rpt files with no BO or CRS, which specific version of Crystal were they created in? (find the version in Help>>About in Crystal).

If they have been published to an earlier version of BO, which version is it - XI, XI r2 or XI 3.1?  All three of these came out prior to SAP's purchase of BO.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dell,

Sorry for late reply.

Yes this .rpt files are at local desk and they heave created this reports on 11.5 BO crystal report version.

they are published the report earlier on XI r2 version..

can please help me out with the steps how upgrade the reports to SAP Crystal reports 2011

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep Kumar

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If they're just on disk and not published to BO, you'll have to open and save each .rpt file in Crystal 2011 in order to upgrade them.  You'll probably also need to update the Oracle client for each of them using "Set Location".  Be aware that Crystal is 32-bit software, so regardless of whether the server is 32-bit or 64-bit, you'll need to have the 32-bit Oracle Client installed in order to do this.

If the reports are in an active BO XI r2 system, there's a two step process for upgrading:

1.  Download and install BO XI 3.1 on a temporary server.  Migrate the reports to this server from the XI r2 system using the Import Wizard.

2.  Download and install BIP 4.1 on a server.  Use the Upgrade Management Tool (UMT) to migrate the reports from the 3.1 system to the 4.1 system.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dell,

I think for me 1st process will work that is ...

"If they're just on disk and not published to BO, you'll have to open and save each .rpt file in Crystal 2011 in order to upgrade them.  You'll probably also need to update the Oracle client for each of them using "Set Location".  Be aware that Crystal is 32-bit software, so regardless of whether the server is 32-bit or 64-bit, you'll need to have the 32-bit Oracle Client installed in order to do this."

let me try and see, will update you on the result .

and can please let me know what more precaution need to be taken when setting up the connection with Oracle?

Thanks & Regards

Pradeep Kumar

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are no additional instructions for Oracle.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

in this process I am cmg up with an error , can you please help me out.

open the .rpt file and refreshed in CR 2011 and worked fine .

and I saved the same file to BO enterprise , open the file in BI lunch pad when I am refreshing the report thr is coming up with an error " The Viewer cloud not process an event. Error in file te: failed to upload the database information. error code:0(CRWE0000019)" .

Thanks & Regards  

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

How does the report connect to the Oracle Database? ODBC, OLEDB or Native (Oracle server connection)?

If it connects via ODBC, you'd need to setup a 32-bit ODBC connection on the BO Server with the same name as the ODBC on the machine this report was developed on.

Oh, and make sure you have the same Oracle Client drivers on the BO Server too.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks for the response, we connecting through Native (Oracle server connection).

the think i don't understand it the report got refreshed correctly in CR 2011 when it comes to BI lunch pad am unable to refresh it.

can please help me out in this.

Thanks & Regards

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the 32-bit Oracle Client installed on the BO Server machine?

-Abhilash

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition to BO requiring the 32-bit Oracle client in order to connect Crystal reports to Oracle, after you publish a report from Crystal to BO, you have to do the following:

1.  Log in to the CMC and go to Folders.

2.  Find the report that you just published.

3.  Right-click on the report and select "Database Configuration".

4.  Set the database password for the report.

5.  Set "

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Good Morning .

I don't have this information let me find out that and update you but in my systems it is 32-bit oracle client.

I have question , if they are using Oracle 64-bit now and  have developed some reports on webi and saved in server .

if we go and change it form 32-bit is there will be any effect on the reports which developed on 64-bit???

Thanks & Regards

Deepu

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can have both the 32-bit and the 64-bit Oracle Clients installed side-by-side on the server, so it won't affect any of the existing Webi reports.

The one thing you'll want to do is edit the "PATH" environment variable to make sure that the path to the 32-bit client is to the left of the one to the 64-bit client.

-Dell

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

samratmuddasani
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepu,

I have Migrated 200 Crystal Reports from XI R2 to 2013 and Oracle as the backend DB.

Steps I followed:

1. Created a backup .BIAR file in BO XI R2 using import Wizard.

2. Had copied the file to the new BO environment (BO 4.1) using Promotion Management.

3. Then you'll find the reports added to the New environment repository. Open the reports from CR 2013 and test the reports and save it back to the repository.

FYI:

Once the Oracle Client is installed, you should create and test your TNS names within the Oracle client. Then you should be able to connect to Oracle from Crystal Reports using the Oracle Native Client using Service Name(basically TNSNAME or your OID(Oracle Internet Directory)). And User name and Password.

Issues I faced:

1. The Dynamic prompts where not copied. Had to create it manually again in reports from Business View Manager. Need to be very careful while pointing the Dynamic prompts to the new reports as it may change the report structure and will face issues in running the report.

2. All the schedules will be gone. Need to recreate the same.

3. Need to check the connection in the reports.

Apart from above issues everything went well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Samrat Muddasani

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To get the dynamic prompts, you can do a couple of things:

1.  Include "Repository Objects" in your export to .biar.

2.  Run the XI R2 Business View Manager and export the prompts to XML.  Then run the BI 4.1 BVM and import the XML file.

Also, I would not use Promotion Management to import the reports - I would use the Upgrade Management Tool, which should be able to read the .biar file.

-Dell

samratmuddasani
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Sorry for late response.

Yes My Mistake. I have used UMT for migrating reports. Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks,

Samrat Muddasani