cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have any of you installed the BPC 10.0→10.1 upgrade?

0 Kudos

Hello BPC compatriots,

I am looking to upgrade my BPC 10.0 MS installation to version 10.1.  Unfortunately, the documentation around the upgrade procedure is quite sparse, and I have not seen much discussion on this topic.  (Even the BPC 10.1 Installation Guide only briefly mentions the ability to upgrade from version 10.0.)  From what I can gather, the procedure is to simply run the installation package on the BPC server, and then install the latest Admin client.

Have any of you upgraded your BPC 10.0 MS installations to version 10.1?  If so, can you share your experience?  Did you encounter any issues along the way?

Thanks!

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

To follow up on this thread, last week I went ahead with the upgrade and I thought I'd share my experience.

In short, yes -- the upgrade is as simple as running the installer on the BPC application server.  However, I did run into a few snags along the way, which I'll describe below.  Note that we were upgrading from BPC 10.0 SP12 to BPC 10.1 SP3.

First, of course my colleagues and I took a thorough series of backups.  This included image-level snapshots of the BPC application server, backups of the SQL databases and SSAS cubes, and BPC Environment backups (stored off-server).  We actually did end up restoring a couple of these backups on our development server in an attempt to get the cleanest install possible, which highlights the importance of backing up!

Then I ran the installer.  One of the first steps is a series of diagnostics where the wizard ensures the proper prerequisites are present on the machine.  The diagnostics detected two problems:

Problem 1 - Web Service Extensions - Currently: ASP.NET v4.0.30319: Prohibited <- ERROR

This was a curious error given that the Current version number matched the required version.  Here's how we fixed it (source😞

1. Go to the Start Menu, search for Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, and right-click it to run it as an administrator.
  2. Select the BPC server on the left, and double-click the ISAPI and CGI Restrictions icon in the middle pane.
  3. Right-click both of the ASP.NET v4.0.30319 entries and set them to Allowed.

At this point, the BPC diagnostics no longer detected this as an error.  However, after running the installation, I was unable to access the BPC web console.  To fix this I just needed to manually register ASP.NET via command prompt (source😞

1. Open command prompt and navigate to the ASP.NET folder (on a 64-bit machine, this should be C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319).
  2. Enter aspnet_regiis.exe /iru.

Problem 2 - Server Features - HTTP Activation - Status:Incorrect

This only cropped up when upgrading our development server, and we fixed it as follows (source😞

1. Go to the Start Menu and launch Server Manager (i.e., the Windows Server Manager, not the BPC Server Manager).
  2. Navigate to Features on the left, and click Add Features on the far right.
  3. Under WCF Activation tick the HTTP Activation checkbox and then click Next.
  4. Click Install.  When this is complete, click Close.
  5. Back on the left, click Roles.  In the middle pane under Role Summary, click Web Server (IIS).
  6. Ensure that ASP.NET is shown under Application Development.  If not, you'll need to click Add Role Services on the right.

Once these bits were solved, the installer ran to completion without issue.  (In fact, the installer won't even show the diagnostics list when no problems are detected.)

Next, I opened up the BPC Server Manager and migrated all of the environments to the new version.  For some reason, the migration tool was unable to migrate a couple of my Data Manager Packages.  All of the migrated Packages were moved from the PACKAGEFILES folder to a new PackageFiles_Migrated folder, and the remaining packages were left in the original folder.  Since the BPC package lists still pointed to the original folder, this meant that EPM was unable to find any of the migrated packages.  To solve this, I simply renamed the PACKAGEFILES folder to PACKAGEFILES_PreMigration, and then renamed the new PackageFiles_Migrated folder to PACKAGEFILES.

After that I was able to install the latest patch.  (The process above describes the installation of BPC 10.1 SP3, which had to be completed before applying the latest patch, SP3 Patch 1.)  The patch installation was incident-free.

Finally, I installed the new BPC Admin client on the BPC server and my local machine and performed thorough regression testing to ensure everything was still working.

I hope this is helpful should anyone else have a similar experience!

Cheers,

Alex

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

good that you found by yourself how to upgrade and shared the issues you encountered during upgrade but instead of closing this thread as assumed answered would be better to close it assigning your answer as "correct answer" so all the user will found quickly the solution.

Thanks and regards

Roberto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

instead of the installation guide you have to follow the upgrade guide.

Please remember to close your threads after solved.

Regards

Roberto

0 Kudos

Thanks Robert.  I actually meant to reference the upgrade guide in my original message, so thank you for posting the link.

In the upgrade guide, there is actually very little information on upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1.  In fact, the only reference I can find is this single sentence:

Except from version 10.0, it is not possible to upgrade directly from an earlier version of Business Planning and Consolidation to version 10.1.

After that, the guide only describes how to configure an existing 10.1 environment to auto-upgrade the admin client & EPM add-in.  After that, it goes on to outline the procedure for migrating from version 7.0/7.5 to 10.1.

Based on the limited discussion I have found elsewhere on this topic, it looks like the process is as simple as running the installation package on the BPC server and then installing the new admin client where needed.  I have downloaded the installation package and confirmed that there is an upgrade option; however I have not run through it yet.  Before doing so, I was hoping others could share their experiences and point out any issues they may have faced.

Cheers,

Alex