cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Server 6.4 on MaxDB 7.6 to CS 6.5 on MaxDB 7.9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we actually hae a content server in version 6.4 based on MaxDB 7.6 and Windows Server 2003. The documents are stored in the database (~900GB)

What we have to do is to adapt the whole landscape, indeed a new Windows Server 2012, CS 6.5 and MaxDB 7.9.

Unfortunately I could not find any convenient solution for my purpose. Which way would you prefer and which was is the practically.

-> Fresh CS 6.5 installation based on Max DB 7.9 on the new Windows Server 2012. Whats next?

An export of the old CS repository and import it to the new CS? or

Restore from a backup of the old MaxDB?

As far as I know the upgrade from CS 6.4 to 6.5 is only replace some dll's, right? (note 514500) But regarding PAM CS 6.5 is not supported on Windows Server 2003, so I can not make an upgrade on the current system.

Should I have to make any pre activities on the current system prior to this?

Thank you for your assitance.

BR

Veysel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

According to SAP there is a possibility to control the access to the Cache Server via txn SCMSIP by defining subnets. Thank you all for the assistance.

BR

Veysel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel,

You can install in your target server the new content server and perform a homogeneous system copy of the 7.6 database to the 7.9.

Have you gone through SAP Note 962019 - System Copy of SAP MaxDB Content Server Database?

Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Luis,

Thank you for your hint. I have read the note before. It is required to patch the current CS to the PL 18, 9 is actually implemented. Therefor it must be updated to PL 18.

What about the next step? If the system copy is done the http Server URL (Content Repository) is taken from the source system. But it should be the show the new URL. It is possible to change the URL afterwards? How is the procedure especially for this doing?

Thank you.

Regards

V.

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Well, that's part of the process, but some additional steps are required for this and this is not part of the MaxDB development, and yet for Content server team (BC-SRV-KPR-CS). They might have some additional steps as it is mentioned in the note.

Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your hints. I will check the feasibility regarding the reconfiguration of the new Server URLs after the system copy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Luis,

At the moment I am installing the new CS 6.5 on the new Windows 2012 server based on MaxDB 7.9. On more equestion? How does it affect when I implement the Cache Server additionally although on the target system no Cahce Server is implemented? Anything that to be said against it? 

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel,

This is no effect, the cache server is installed together with content server as another database by default. As long as you do not configure/use it, it will be fine.

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks a lot. What about the location of the cache server? However the documents were copied to the cache server. We have two locations A and B. On location A the Content Server is installed. On location B the Cache Server is in purpose. Both servers are virtualized but the physical VMWare host is standing in the location A. Does the combination make sense? My understanding is that the Cache Server must be installed near to the location in which users are wokring with it.

BR

V.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel,

As the name "cache server", it is used for caching, so it should be near the working place.

If the two servers "cache server" and "content server" are physically in the same location, then it is not much helpful, but makes the scenario more complicated. For your case, you can just only use content server.

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. I will install a cache server on ESX Server in location B. So the physical machine would be in location B. It means that the users from location B would benefit from the cache server.

But how it is processed when an user from location A, where the content server is installed, access or modify a document? I hope in that case no caching is used. Is that so?

Thank you

Regards

V.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Veysel,

Sorry I don't know the details about the implement of cache server, because cache server is almost topic for content server area, rather than maxdb.

If you are an SAP customer, you can raise ticket for component (BC-SRV-KPR).

Or check the guide via:

http://service.sap.com/contentserver

-> resources

There you can find the relevant guides/documents.

Best regards,
James