cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong in my JRA (JCo) Server model implementation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi community,

We have to migrate our Java web application to (Java).

Our application receives data from a remote ABAP system. Thus, we had implemented a JCo 3.0 Server to handle the incoming calls.

But for SAP Netweaver, we can't use the standalone version of JCo anymore.

As I understood from SAP documentation, the preferred way to implement our server scenario is to use SAP java resource adapter.

Doing so, I configured the resource adapter and implemented the MDB that implements com.sap.mw.jco.jra.SynchronousMessageListener.

I did all steps like defined in the documentation, but it is not working ...

The resource adapter register itself on the remote gateway (of the ABAP system). Our SAP NW Java stack receives the function calls from the remote ABAP system, but then an error appears.

com.sap.conn.jco.JCoException: (123) JCO_ERROR_FUNCTION_NOT_FOUND: 'EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR' could not be found in the server repository.

My message-driven-bean implements com.sap.mw.jco.jra.SynchronousMessageListener, defines FunctionName EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR as activation parameter and it seems to be correctly registered to the resource adapter.

Deploy Start Application Thread  [Nov 06 18:17:30 666] ResourceAdapterImpl.endpointActivation() registration EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR set for com.sap.mw.jco.jra.JRA$ResourceAdapterImpl ...

Any idea what's missing? What's wrong in my approach?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vijay_kumar49
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please check this document. it may be useful. JCO_ERROR_FUNCTION_NOT_FOUND:

Kindly let me know if you need any more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for the link. It was very useful. In the meantime I got also a reply for my OSS from SAP.

Here a snippet from the reply:

... Every RFC program always needs RFC meta data for building appropriate
function data to send or for interpreting the received RFC data
correctly. This required RFC meta data is fetched from a
JCoRepository. So also every RFC server needs a repository. But in
your scenario, the so-called 'server repository' doesn't provide the
RFC function meta data for module 'EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR'. Usually a
JCoRepository is configured as a dynamic repository that queries the
needed RFC meta data from an AS ABAP back-end system. That means your
repository most likely targets an AS ABAP back-end that does not know
this function module interface (i.e. it is not known in transaction
SE37).

Therefore please check which AS ABAP back-end system your JRA server
repository is referring to. This is either configured directly in the
JRA settings, or set via some destination from the destination service.

The recommendation is to use property 'DestinationName' and always to
configure the destination to the same AS ABAP back-end system where
the incoming RFC calls originate from.
Having done this, the JRA server repository should be able to query
the required RFC meta data for function module
'EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR' from the configured ABAP system ...

So I did. I declared the function 'EXPORT_TOTALS_TO_ADSTAR' in the calling ABAP back-end system. The JCO repository is fetched from this system. And it works ...!!

vijay_kumar49
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.

HAL9000
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

just a little hint from my side:

SAP support would also be glad to get some feedback in the support ticket, if the provided solution worked and solved the problem. At least it would be nice, if the opened ticket would be confirmed even without a further reply.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

yes of course. I will close the support ticket and provide the feedback.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Best regards,

Christian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

HAL9000
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Additional info:

As of SAP NetWeaver 7.50 it is now technically possible also to use the complete JCoServer functionality of the JCo3 API.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan,

Just wanted to follow up on this message you left at the end of this thread and ask a quick question about it. I previously had an OSS message discussion with SAP Support about this issue, and was told this (1195231 / 2014):

"I unfortunately have to tell you that SAP decided not to offer the JCo3 infrastructure for the ServerDataProvider and for stating your own JCoServer instances in the NW AS Java Environment."

And it was suggested that we look into using the JRA instead. Just wondering if what you said here which is more up to date information counteracts the previous OSS response? Does NetWeaver 7.5 allow the JCo3 infrastructure for the ServerDataProvider to be setup and used?

Best Regards,

Andrew 

HAL9000
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

the OSS message is from the year 2014 and therefore the SAP support statement was correct back then. SAP NetWeaver 7.5 was not released at that time.

But the situation changed with NetWeaver 7.5 and one can use the JCoServer functionality now in release 7.5.

You cannot register your own ServerDataProvider (the same as with the DestinationDataProvider), this is a fix part of the shipped NetWeaver AS Java infrastructure. But there are APIs and also a NWA UI for storing and managing your own JCoServer configurations.

Your JCo business application then uses the JCo3 API

com.sap.conn.jco.server.JCoServerFactory.getServer(java.lang.String serverName)

as the entry point for getting the appropriate, previously configured JCoServer instance.

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan,

Thanks so much for this information! Is there any documentation about this change (change notes etc) so we can better understand what to expect it would look like? We do not currently have any systems running NetWeaver 7.5, but if JCo3 would work it could solve a lot of our problems. Any other info you could help point me to about it would be appreciated so our BASIS team can make a better informed decision about when to head to NW7.5.

Best regards, and thanks for all your help!

Andrew