SAP for Automotive Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users in discussions to troubleshoot challenges, share best practices, and fuel each other's success. Join a conversation or start your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automotive Parts Supplier : Moving to SAP

0 Kudos

Hello,

Our company, an automotive & electronics parts supplier to OEMs like GM, Ford is moving from the existing ERP software, called JDE Enterprise World to SAP.  We also use an EDI software called Future Three from INFOR to get customer forecasts, releases and to send Advanced Shipping notices. In addition, we have custom warehouse application which is used with TLAshford to print AIAG shipping labels.

I think with SAP, we have to replace these EDI, Barcode and Warehouse applications.

I would like to connect & get feedback from SAP users who have similar automotive supplier background, and who have successfully migrated or are in the process, to SAP.

I would like to focus on what solutions are used for :

1. Translating EDIFACT standard Customer EDI from OEMs like GM,Ford into SAP(formats like DELFOR,DELJIT etc)
  2. Creating AIAG shipping labels using OEM EDI data
  3. Warehouse Mgmt which interfaces with SAP

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SachinX
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Trevor,

It is not necessary to replace the EDI, Barcode & warehouse application in your scenario.

EDI & Barcode can be integrated with SAP through interface.

Warehouse application can be replaced with SAP Standard Warehouse Management which is further tightly integrated with your logistics process.

As you a supplier to major automotive organisation & they are also using SAP system for their operation, SAP implementation will bring in a lot of value & easy flexibility to meet the customer demands for you as a supplier.

Warehouse application can be also be interfaces, however it is recommended to use SAP standard for warehouse process as your logistics operations are in SAP.

But if you have an extended warehouse management processes, then SAP offer an application called SAP EWM (Extended Warehouse Management)

Regards,

Sachin Balmiki

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SachinX
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Trevor,

It is not necessary to replace the EDI, Barcode & warehouse application in your scenario.

EDI & Barcode can be integrated with SAP through interface.

Warehouse application can be replaced with SAP Standard Warehouse Management which is further tightly integrated with your logistics process.

As you a supplier to major automotive organisation & they are also using SAP system for their operation, SAP implementation will bring in a lot of value & easy flexibility to meet the customer demands for you as a supplier.

Warehouse application can be also be interfaces, however it is recommended to use SAP standard for warehouse process as your logistics operations are in SAP.

But if you have an extended warehouse management processes, then SAP offer an application called SAP EWM (Extended Warehouse Management)

Regards,

Sachin Balmiki

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Trivor,

This is very common for any migration project.

You will follow ASAP methodology for implementation , your focus is to get the as-is and to-be processes documented .

In SAP for any business transaction like delivery note you can configure the documents that transactions will create i.ee delivery notes and how they will be sent i.e. ALE/IDOC EDI, Fax, Email, printouts.

For this I will recommend you to prepare cross-reference sheets to map the fields  and conversion.

If you want real time data exchange , use web services. SAP supports all types of communications and is much easy.Only hardwork you have to do is get correct technical consultant.

You can even think of using SAP PI.

Regards

Ganesh

0 Kudos

FYI SAP no longer uses the ASAP methodology as it's default approach to implementation programs.  It has been deprecated and replaced with SAP Activate.