cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCN search vs. Google

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For years I've been saying that SAP should just use Google for search instead of their own concoction. Here is some hard evidence for the non-believers.

Just yesterday I decided to search for an old thread in Coffee Corner called 'Coded humor'. Google came up with the link as soon as I finished typing:

And here is what happens if you type 'Coded humor' in the SCN search box (yeah, this needs a video):

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<RANT>Well, I am also not too happy with the SCN search. But I have to admit that it helped me a lot when I worked as a consultant. Filtering the search based on the spaces is something I like in SCN. I generally search with simple keywords and filter it based on spaces.

But now, I am using the custom search created for SCN: Google Custom Search only because I don't want to type site:scn.sap.com each time along with the keywords.

It definitely make sense to make search highly efficient for every product because it is something everyone uses and the useful. </RANT>

Regards, Midhun

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I totally agree with you about not using scn search and always use Google. Quick and direct solutions.

But for OSS notes search I use Launch the SAP Note and KBA search instead. It is more accurate than Google. 

Video is reaaly good. Is there someone who will say something about this from developers?

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

My favorite is when you find exactly what you need at the top of your search and then open the link to find a moderator rejected it.  Sigh.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sometimes it helps to refresh the page with the error message, where the results should be and it actually shows you the result list for your query. ^^

But yeah, googling is plain and simple easier, faster and less nerve-wrecking.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hm, I've just tried again and didn't get an error. I guess got called urgently to reboot a server. Still the "unsecure connection" warning and spinning wheels were there.

The results were quite interesting though. It also found a blog in Coffee Corner that is not accessible (since blogs had to be disabled there) and BIF from Bjorn Goerke that I missed 3 years ago. Well, if anything, I guess we can use SCN search as "random stuff to read" generator.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have not tried SCN Search in a long time.  Each time I see a blog on the big improvements that have been made to it, I try it.  After the expected disappointment, I go right back to the custom Google search that Jason Lax created a few years ago.  Whatever happened to best of breed?

But I have to admit I laughed out loud when I saw your video!  Hilarious and sadly even worse than its normal performance.

Cheers, Mike

SAP Technology RIG