Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which type of job is benificial - SAP Abap ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I've recently completed my SAP E Academy, SAP ABAP, and I am going to appear in abap associate certification exams, before that I am trying to get some experience in field.

I would like to know which type of firm should I look for

1- That has SAP already implemented.

-------     OR     -----------

2- That is going to implement SAP.

My aim is to learn and progress. Which choice would be better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion, both are beneficial for different reasons.  For someone who is new to ABAP, I think a firm that has already implemented SAP would be the route to take.  Typically, they will already have skilled SAP programmers employed that can help you grow your skillset.  For those that already have this skillset, they should look at those firms that are going to implement as they will really benefit from employing individuals that already posses not only programmatic experience, but experience with SAP which is really invaluable in this case.  Hope this helps a little bit!

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion, both are beneficial for different reasons.  For someone who is new to ABAP, I think a firm that has already implemented SAP would be the route to take.  Typically, they will already have skilled SAP programmers employed that can help you grow your skillset.  For those that already have this skillset, they should look at those firms that are going to implement as they will really benefit from employing individuals that already posses not only programmatic experience, but experience with SAP which is really invaluable in this case.  Hope this helps a little bit!

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Murtaza,

In addition to Scott's post...it depends upon you too (the candidate). If you are someone who wants to dive in the deep end of the learning pool, ready to take the pressure...not fazed by discomfort, someone who can get information by reading, surfing, trying out on his/her own. Then implementation is the way forward. You might give full 2, 3 years of your life (no social life, working till late night...all encompassing) but the learning will be rock solid and fast (faster than in support)

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Scott and TW Typewriter for your opinions.

Thing with me is that I can't work my way out of any scenario that is totally new for me that's the case in abap.

So that's why I really want to take time learning like I want to know how to tackle what situation in what manner and dive deeply by time,

Plus I really want to go techno-functional.

0 Kudos

My advice is to take the first SAP job that comes along - SAP is a notoriously difficult area to break into, whether you're certified or not. Then grab every chance you get to learn something new.

good luck!

Paul

0 Kudos

Murtaza,

I really want to take time learning

This is the best attitude! Take time to learn, don't hurry or trouble your mind about speed in career progression etc. With time and experience you will find out what you are most suited for and what you enjoy most.

My goal is to learn the maximum from the functionalities I am working on (at the moment). And day by day, I am gathering more and more.

good luck,

TW

0 Kudos

Thanks, a lot TW Typewriter

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hm, I wonder where is this magical place where potential employers still line up for ABAPers with 0 experience?

As Paul said - take any job. Should be lucky to get a single offer, judging by the frequent moaning and groaning in this same forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your opinions, have given some interviews for jr abap consultant. Let's hope for best. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Good luck Murtaza!

0 Kudos

Thanks Scott