cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Name in Crystal Reports 2008 SP7

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have Visual Studio 2010 on my desktop computer and SQL Server 2014 Express on our Windows Server 2012 server. 

In Crystal Reports > Database Expert > Create New Connection > OLE DB (ADO)

There is no Server Name in the "Server:"

How Can I connect Crystal Reports to our server?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stevie,

You'll need to type in the Server Name.

You'd also need to use the 'SQL Server Native Client' driver.

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks for responding.

I tried that already and it didn't work.

Our new server OS is 64 bit. Could that be something that would affect it?

Best regards,

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think so.

When you say 'it didn't work', what do you mean?

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

On the start page when I click on "Blank report" and I "Create new connection". I select "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" under OLE DB provider and I click "next" and key in my "sa" credentials, I get "Logon failed" error message.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you also type in the Server Name?

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

Yes, I did.

Here's the error details:

Details: ADO Error Code: 0x80004005

Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0

Description: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]

SQL State: 08001

Native Error: 2 [Database Vendor Code: 2]

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is more of a SQL Server configuration issue.

Here's a possible resolution:

SQL SERVER – FIX : ERROR : (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could no...

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

I ran through all of the suggestions and I'm still not able to connect.

I'll keep searching online.

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stevie, I am not sure what version of CR you are using - but seeing that you have VS 2010, I'd assume you are using 'SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET" (?).

You need to be on SP 10 at minimum and I'd highly recommend SP 15 (). Additionally, according to the SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for  Microsoft Visual Studio - Supported Platforms you should be using ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server (MSODBCSQL11.DLL).

If all of the above is satisfied, try the connection with SAP Crystal Reports 2013 - an eval of which can be downloaded from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stevie,

If you are connecting to SQL Server 2012, I believe the native client should be 11.0.  Version 10 is for SQL Server 2008. 

The version I have is 2011.110.3407.00.  Check to see if you have the latest drivers and update them if you don't. 

I am also using Crystal 2008 with the 16 bit driver connecting to both SQL Server 2008 and 2012. So it should work as long as you have the updated driver. 

Try using ODBC and see if that works better for you instead of ADO. 

Good luck,

Brian

0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for responding.

I downloaded and installed SP15 and ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server and it's still failing. The error says Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server Named Pipes provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server.

Best regards

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

Thanks for responding. I'm still not able to connect. Please see my response to Ludek.Uher.

Best regards

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stevie,

From your Development machine, are you able to connect to the SQL Server database with SQL Server Management Studio? 

When you configure your ODBC datasource in the ODBC Administrator, does the Test Connection work?  You must be using the 32 Bit ODBC Administrator for Crystal. 

Can you also verify the version of Crystal Reports you are using?  Are you using 2008 or Crystal for VS2010? 

I have had problems if you have the same datasource in both 32 and 64 bit ODBC.  ODBC gets confused and doesn't know which one to open. 

I checked our database server and we have NamedPipes as a protocol for SQL Server disabled.  That's our configuration though so I would recommend you talk to your DBA before making any changes to the SQL Server configuration. 

Good luck,

Brian

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stevie

I am not sure about the namedpipes, but if you can, go with Brian's suggestion as at least we know that this works in his environment.

I'd also like to see what the CR 2013 designer says when you try to connect it. An Eval of CR 2013 (v.14.x) is available from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Abhilash,

Just wanted to inform you that I'm able to connect now and this is what I did.

• I first tried to connect to the server with the server name and the port number 11644 assigned to default instance.
  • I changed the port of the default instance to 1433. SQL Server always listen to the port 1433 as default port.
  • I tried to connect to server and it connected successfully.

Also, wanted to thank Brian Dong and Ludek Uher for adding to the discussion.

Best regards

Answers (0)