Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESP (CSV) Output Adapter for rolling log-files

sven_petersen
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

what we want:

We have an output stream and want to write it's contents to a file (csv or json). This file is used as kind of a log file for custom error messages and warnings.

In order to limit storage consumption we would like to limit the amount of files that can exist at the same time. Whenever the limit is it the oldest file shall be deleted.

we are currently using the File/Hadoop CSV as follows:

ATTACH OUTPUT ADAPTER csv_error_output

TYPE toolkit_file_csv_output

TO output_stream_error

PROPERTIES

dir = '<someFolderName>',

file = 'log',

timeBasedRotate = true,

timestampInFilenames = true,

timeBasedRotateInterval = 3600,

timestampInFilenamesFormat = 'HH',

;

Expected result would be files in the following format:

log.01 - for 1AM

log.02 - for 2AM

log.03 - ...

Where the number represents an hour. This would lead to overwriting the log files after 24 hours.

However ESP always adds a counting number to the files like so:

log.001.01

log.002.02

log.003.02

log.325.08

which should actually only happen if you set the fileSizeLimit - Property which we did not do (according to the documentation).

Is there an alternative way or a better solution?

Thanks,

Sven

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. If somebody know the resolution about it, please let me know.

JWootton
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

We can consider this enhancement for a future release.  In the mean-time, you could consider:

1. set up a chron job to go in and delete old files on a regular basis

2. customize the file output adapter by writing a new transport module (in java) that works this way

JWootton
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It seems like I may have responded to quickly and misread the request as new functionality, when in fact the issue is that existing functionality is not working as expected.  let us take a closer look at this.  Stay tuned.